Wastad birds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 12 Jul 2023

Does anyone know if the bird ban on Shadow Wall (VS 4c) is accurate and up-to-date? Would like to climb it on an upcoming trip but RAD says keep away until birds have fledged end of July. This might be from previous years and people seem to be logging the route currently with no mention of any birds. 

Anyone have any idea? 

Ta!

BMC Cymru 13 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

The birds generally nest above the abseil, above pitch 2. The birds may have fletched early but we ask all climbers to check before they set off. Peregrines are generally not very happy if they get disturbed. 

C Witter 13 Jul 2023
In reply to BMC Cymru:

Check how? Fly up to the nest? Can you signpost to relevant info?

C Witter 13 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

It's sad to see that, despite the restrictions guidance, 10 ascents have been logged on Shadow Wall in the 1st June to end of July restricted period... and I would have thought any nesting birds would have also been there in May.

I tend to feel the RAD is not always as up-to-date as other sources, but the RAD page shows an update in June this year: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=2119

The FRCC keeps a good log of Cumbrian restrictions, but I can't find anything equivalent for Eryri.

Seems best to avoid Shadow Wall until the end of the month, anyway. I hope others will, instead of shamelessly logging ascents during a bird ban on a webpage that states there is a bird ban...

OP PaulJepson 13 Jul 2023
In reply to BMC Cymru:

Thanks for the info all. Hopefully it will be obvious if there is any bird activity there, as we will be there end of July and will aim to do another route or two first. The Peregrines here fledged weeks ago. 

If there was an active nest and a ban in place for June then yes it is a shame to see so many logs in that period. I think at least one of them is a commercial guide as well so should be setting a better example.

I'm not interested in disturbing birds and have always felt shit when I do so will only climb if they've definitely vacated. 

Michael Hood 13 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

As you will probably know, if you're too near an active peregrine nest site, you will know, unless you're stone deaf.

In reply to Michael Hood:

I think the male will attack you/ bomb you, if the chicks have not yet flown.

Brass Nipples 13 Jul 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

I misread this as wasted birds, and thought of Newcastle on a Sat night.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...