Venues to avoid at the moment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 22 May 2020

The BMC has produced a list of crags that are best avoided at the moment - see https://www.thebmc.co.uk/covid19-climbing-hotspots-to-avoid-in-england?fbcl... 

Graeme Hammond 22 May 2020
In reply to Mark Kemball:

No mention of Brimham rocks, according to the national trust website it is closed, anyone know anything different?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks

Will Hunt 22 May 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I drove past Brimham last weekend and there were lots of cars on the verge beyond Hare's Head (coming from the Summerbridge direction) as the car park was closed. If they've not updated the website then I expect it still is. If you can park at Hare Heads then I see no reason not to take access to the crag (it is CRoW after all).

If you can't get parked then why not take the opportunity to visit Eavestone. I see you've not done Eavesdropper, Wedgewood, Fat Chance, Crazy Paver, and Eavestone Wall. That's a grand day out in anyone's book.

Graeme Hammond 22 May 2020
In reply to Will Hunt:

Thanks, I have parked by the path that goes in via the heart boulder before but not sure how I feel about going if the parking is shut even if it is on CRoW land, I also imagen these spots will fill up quickly and so will leave it for another time. If the wind is similar to the peak tomorrow Eavestone could be an excellent bet. I have had a wander in the woods to look at those routes previously + the amazing looking Swinging Free but they were all wet & very dirty however it was April (2018).  Brimham had been identified as a location to do some easy clean routes with the misses and some bouldering whilst she went for a social distancing walk with her mother. Don't mind doing some cleaning whilst they walk (I often clean up stuff) it will just be less fun for her as those routes will be too hard for her after she's had her walk. Might be worth making an exception as they look so good. Alternatively the non banned bits of Guisscliff might also work?

Post edited at 20:56
 Will Hunt 22 May 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I think Guisecliff's trad is generally quite dirty. Not everything of course, but it's not a completely reliable crag. Comet Wall is a fantastic VS and that does stay clean. The bouldering should be in good nick too - there's an up to date guide covering all the recent development and rediscovery on Unknown Stones.

FWIW, when I did those routes on the Eavestone they were all clean on arrival. Swinging Free will be very dirty as I don't think it ever gets done (which is a huge shame as it's such an incredible line).

Post edited at 22:37
 Brown 23 May 2020
In reply to Will Hunt:

I'd have thought crags like Guisecliff are an excellent choice at the moment. They are huge and discreet.

The Creation (E2 5c) is a top UK crack route. Should be on any list of uk jamming testpieces. 

I always regret not climbing Aftermath (E5 5c) as it's a stunning line. If I was not stuck in London.......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...