Thirlmere Road petition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lord_ash2000 20 Jul 2023
In reply to tim carruthers:

Signed it the other day. 

robhorton 20 Jul 2023

What's actually been proposed? My (admittedly brief) googling only turned up older proposals. I'd like to see the road re-open - at least for pedestrians / cyclists - but I'm reluctant to sign the petition without seeing what Cumbria Council are actually proposing to do.

steveriley 20 Jul 2023

This feels like a convenience for the water and forestry people ...not a proposal to improve life for walkers, cyclists and indeed (hiss!) motor vehicles.

Ridge 20 Jul 2023
In reply to robhorton:

> What's actually been proposed? My (admittedly brief) googling only turned up older proposals. I'd like to see the road re-open - at least for pedestrians / cyclists - but I'm reluctant to sign the petition without seeing what Cumbria Council are actually proposing to do.

Same here. Great idea for safe pedestrian and cycle access, no so much for motorised traffic.

Neil Williams 20 Jul 2023
In reply to Ridge:

I similarly can't see an issue with keeping it closed for cars, but it should be open to pedestrians and cycles.  Is the proposal to keep part of it fully closed?

felt 20 Jul 2023

I've not been along here for ages. What would happen if I tried to cycle from one end of the road to the other? Is it completely impassable?

In reply to robhorton:

> What's actually been proposed? My (admittedly brief) googling only turned up older proposals. I'd like to see the road re-open - at least for pedestrians / cyclists - but I'm reluctant to sign the petition without seeing what Cumbria Council are actually proposing to do.

I don't think Cumberland Council have any plan for the road. UU have applied for an emergency temporary road closure due to fallen trees in Storm Arwen November 2021.

Since then UU seem to be taking the mock and I'm not sure how much power Cumbria County Council and now Cumberland Council have to get UU to hurry up. I've not heard of any proposal for a permanent closure.

https://keswickreminder.co.uk/2023/06/07/thirlmere-road-closure-extended-to...

I've signed the petition anyway. UU are taking the mick and anything to raise this on the agenda is worthwhile.

Howard J 20 Jul 2023

As far as I can see from a quick google the road has been closed temporarily on safety grounds.  There may be legitimate concerns over how long it is taking to fix this, but the petition suggests that the council now wants to make this permanent. Is this correct? 

RobAJones 20 Jul 2023
In reply to felt:

I haven't been along a few months, but it has varied considerably since the closure. There was a spell last summer when it was no problem, there were barriers to prevent cars, but you could ride round these without having to dismount and there were no other obstructions in the road . Then some 8' fences were erected which apparently were no problem to get round on foot, but a bit of a pain if you were cycling. The last account I heard, as well as the fences trees had been felled and left lying across the road, again no problem if walking but a bit of a pain if trying to cycle. 

felt 20 Jul 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

Ah, OK, thanks, sounds doable! Planning a trip to Keswick and don't really want to spend more time than I have to on the main road.

If you want additional information on the current situation, and detailed arguments for the objection to the road closure, see the link below:

https://www.change.org/p/keep-thirlmere-road-open/u/31760463

ExiledScot 21 Jul 2023

It's clearly short-sighted not to maintain it as a viable road, even if it is closed to traffic with lockable barriers. The next big flood or landslip on the other side could easily close the road. Especially with Kirkstone being in and out of action intermittently at present, it's a risk. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...