The BMC RAD - #bemoreRAD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveriley 07 Jul 2022

Dull propaganda request. It feels like not enough people use the BMC RAD. People do a ton of work behind the scenes to keep the crags open for us, the least we can do is check current access before a visit...

From https://www.instagram.com/bmc_northwest/

The BMC Regional Access Database (RAD) is the definitive source of access info and advice for climbers in England & Wales. From bird restrictions and parking advice to sensitive approaches and advice on local ethics, this is the place to go to find out whether you can climb on a crag and just how to approach it.

The RAD is available for desktop online (https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/) or for Android and iOS with the RAD app from the BMC!

It's free and comes with a host of new features like navigation and parking, weather and tidal updates, and of course information on restrictions or notes on access advice. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.bmc.rad.app

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bmc-rad/id635707992

Spread the word.

* not an official BMC campaign, climbing and mountaineering are activities with a danger of personal injury or death, holds may spin, terms and conditions apply.

Offwidth 08 Jul 2022
In reply to steveriley:

Seconded. I'd add UKC access information directly links to RAD so it can be checked through logbooks as well.

Checking online saves a wasted journey: when you turn up and find the same restriction information on a sign.

A few fools ignoring access restrictions has caused lost access for all at some venues.

Godwin 08 Jul 2022
In reply to steveriley:

The RAD is something more should use, but it is not instinctive, twice this year I have been to crags and found a Bird Ban. Once at Walthwaite, luckily for us there was a BMC sign, second one was at Stonestar, we had parked and started to walk up to the crag, when I noticed a Peregrine flying, and then looked on the FRCC website. A sign at the parking spot would have been great.

My thoughts;

• Using the RAD is good.
  • I find the RAD not always accurate and slow to Update, UKC and FRCC, seem much more responsive.
  • Change the BMC signage so it is understandable to non English speakers, maybe a picture of a Bird with a line through it. 
  • Put on the sign, If you had checked the "RAD, you would not be stood here having had a wasted trip". Maybe a QR code so they can download the APP there and then.
  • BMC people need to understand that people are not as aware of the RAD as BMC people think they are. 
  • Understand the goal is not to not annoy the birds.
  • A poster to be put up in club huts, climbing walls, shops, climbers pubs and cafes. [EDIT]

Keep up the good work.

Post edited at 09:17
 Offwidth 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Godwin:

RAD can't ever be perfectly accurate..... the process of reporting issues and acting on them takes some time and is nearly all done by volunteers. RAD up dates in the office might take a few days depending on what the access staff are doing. However those edge cases are rarely a big problem.

"BMC people" know full well most climbers don't use RAD (or the UKC logbook link) and your passive aggresive tone on this is unhelpful. Everyone who knows about access sensitivity and risks should  be checking somewhere. Signage is part of this BMC knowledge... belt and braces to inform as best we can.... and it's a quick response that can be done by the local access volunteer in the more sensitive situations. Sadly sometimes signs get removed by third parties when the landowner and access reps have agreed it (as per the lakes incident a few months back).

The logbook links on UKC are RAD... in addition, individuals kindly post new information in threads but these are easily missed, often in the wrong place (they really need to be on the access forum), and sometimes they inadvertently contain incorrect points. The FRCC page is faster for the Lakes but is run by the same local BMC volunteers who input to RAD.

The aims with bird nesting restrictions are: to help the birds nest without disturbance, help climbers stay within the law, not to anger landowners (especially groups like the NT, RSPB, and Wildlife trusts who normally work well in partnership with the BMC) and ensure a quick return to access when the restrictions are no longer required.

Post edited at 09:40
 Godwin 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

I am sorry, I have no intention of being aggressive, and sorry if it comes across that way, but possibly, any form of criticism could be seen in that light. 
I rarely look in the Access forum, it is not one of "My Forums". My perception is it is a BMC area, which is of no interest to me, however it would seem to be good place to look. Possibly there are too many sources of information and people get confused, I do.
TBH, I am not here for a row, just thought the OP would value some feedback and a bump.

Post edited at 10:24
 Offwidth 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Godwin:

These discussions happen regularly and maybe I'm sensitive and frustrated with comments that 'BMC people need to learn' something about RAD that they must already obviously know.. We have user stats online and participation stats on climbing numbers so the gap for RAD usage is blindingly obvious.  Anyone can ask their climbing friends if they mostly check access somewhere before setting off to climb (my anecdotal evidence, even as a BMC volunteer, would be low tens of percent at most).

The need to avoid access difficulties is becoming way more important. Generally  the population rightly is becoming more sensitive to the environment, and unfortunately landowners in becoming more concerned about their responsibilities and liabilities are more likely to overreact; but the key change is the government proposes law that is significantly more draconian and will be listening to landowner lobbying.... with all sorts of potential access consequences for us all. 

I think as a community we are sleepwalking a bit on access, as things have generally worked out OK in the past, and we could do with more urgency in recognising  things are changing, and hence the greater importance of following  agreed restrictions and supporting the access lobby: the BMC and the army of local access volunteers do their best to help with that.

OP steveriley 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Godwin:

For what it's worth I didn't read your post as aggressive. I get that people are frustrated if changes don't come through fast enough. The UKC/RAD link is brilliant and I'm super grateful for that. In some cases the link has been deliberately overridden so if you ever spot a problem with that, let UKC know.

Offwidth is rightly passionate about this stuff, and only wants to spread the good news. Access is important to everyone and if any of us can do our bit we should. A system largely run by volunteers is always going to have shortcomings. There's an awful lot of crags to be covered by not many paid hours of BMC staff. The rest is squeezed around day jobs/climbing/retirement/having a life.

Good citizens keep their ear close to the ground but there's a whole bunch of hard to reach people, perhaps people on their early trips outdoors. If you know any of them, pick up on any opportunities to steer them in the right direction. Onwards. Ta!

Offwidth 08 Jul 2022
In reply to steveriley:

I prefer the system as it is, shortcomings included: without significant local 'buy- in' and the huge volunteer 'FTE equivalent' in involvement, what would the BMC be in access terms other than an overstretched help and political lobbyist. The BMC recognises the issues we face and has slightly increased staffing (with Dave's time on access expanding in his new role and with new seperated roles to deal with government policy in Wales and land management in England, to free time for the full time access posts in both countries) and is running cross UK meetings to better link access volunteers across regions, share concerns, share good practice and success stories.

Godwin 08 Jul 2022
In reply to steveriley:

Thank you, and thank you for your good work.

Yes Mr Offwidth is passionate, but of good heart.

I will promise to try and remember to use the RAD in future. 

All the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...