Rivelin parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveb2006 26 Mar 2023

Is the dam car park at Rivelin now open? - I'm guessing it is as people seem to be climbing there, but would like to be sure

Cheers

Steve

Jenny C 26 Mar 2023
In reply to steveb2006:

When we drove past yesterday they still had road closed signed up. 

Dan Arkle 26 Mar 2023
In reply to steveb2006:

With great care, it's possible to get completely off the road on the main road. There are no parking restrictions if you avoid the double centre line sections. 

muppetfilter 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

It is possible to park above Rivelin on woodbank road and have a short flat walk in.

Andypeak 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Solid white line on the edge is also no parking 

Graeme Hammond 26 Mar 2023
In reply to muppetfilter:

> It is possible to park above Rivelin on woodbank road and have a short flat walk in.

Last time i drove along there it was a tiny single track road with no places to fully get off the road other than near the couple of resident houses. The right hand end of the crag is a nature reserve with an no access agreement so you need to drop down to come back up to the crag. Parking a short walk away on Bingley Lane would be more feasible.

Dan Arkle 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

No its not.

A solid white line on the side merely marks the edge of the carriageway for visibility.

Post edited at 18:03
 kevin stephens 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Where the road has a solid, unbroken white line running along the side, parking is considered legal.

In some cases, the single white line is there to indicate that there’s no pavement – if this is the case then it’s illegal to park there.

Moacs 26 Mar 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Where the road has a solid, unbroken white line running along the side, parking is considered legal.

> In some cases, the single white line is there to indicate that there’s no pavement – if this is the case then it’s illegal to park there.

How do we know which is which?

Andypeak 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

If no pavement is present a solid white line means parking is not permitted 

OP steveb2006 26 Mar 2023
In reply to steveb2006:

Thanks all, probably wait until the normal parking is open.

FactorXXX 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

> If no pavement is present a solid white line means parking is not permitted 

Think that refers to parking on the road side of the line.
Not sure if it means that you can/cannot park on the verge.

Dan Arkle 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

There is a thread with this photo on the driving instructors facebook group, of which I am a member.

We are now 30 posts in and NOBODY thinks it is illegally parked. Its legal. 

The quote you picked up from the AA website or wherever is just wrong. 

If edge lines indicated a parking restriction it would say so in the highway code or the legislation - show me it!!! Its not there.

Generally parking on these fast dangerous roads might fail the common sense rule, or could be ticketed by the police for causing a dangerous obstruction. But this car is not causing an obstruction to vehicles or pedestrians. 

deepsoup 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> If edge lines indicated a parking restriction it would say so in the highway code or the legislation - show me it!!! Its not there.

Perhaps some are confusing the situation with a solid white line in the middle of the road?

> Generally parking on these fast dangerous roads might fail the common sense rule..

That spot by the side of the A57 was regularly used before the Yorkshire Water car park was there.  It was always a bit sketchy then too - but not because it wasn't legal.

The main alternative back then was to park at the Norfolk Arms and call in for a pint after climbing, but sadly the pub is no more.  (It was converted into the two big semi-detached houses a couple of hundred metres West along the A57 from the junction at the dam.)

muppetfilter 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

I said it was possible, I didn't say it was easy.

Godwin 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

> Solid white line on the edge is also no parking 

The Highway Code says it is an edge line https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/road-markings.html

It is there to highlight the edge of the road, other markings are there to indicate no parking https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/lines-and-lane-markings-on-the-road.html

deacondeacon 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

> Solid white line on the edge is also no parking 

Lol, no its not.

GrahamD 27 Mar 2023
In reply to steveb2006:

There is a good car park just off the A57 about 2km on towards Sheffield.   A short walk up the road and then a good track leads along to the crag.  It's a bit longer than the original parking but not by that much.

Jenny C 27 Mar 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

Rails Road carpark - gets incredibly busy as very popular.

GrahamD 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

Guess I got lucky the two times there this year.  I could believe it does get busy though - but then so did the 'normal ' Rivlin carpark !

deepsoup 27 Mar 2023
In reply to GrahamD:

The Rails Road car park does get busy but I think I've only ever been there once and not found a space. 

When it is busy most of the people parking there are local dog walkers who don't tend to stay long, so you might find you only have to drive up the hill to the end of Woodbank Rd to drop your pal with the gear, turn around and come back down to find a spot.  (The public footpath that gently descends down below the crag from there is sometimes soggy but a nicer walk than the pavement alongside the A57.)

I think there will continue to be issues once the Yorkshire Water car park does re-open.  Pre-pandemic it was open from 8am - 8pm in the summer, but they just closed the gate and looped the chain over the stone gatepost without actually locking it if there was anyone still there.  When they finally re-opened it after the pandemic, the gate had been replaced and they'd begun to lock it for real at 6pm.  Hopefully when that car park it re-opens again they'll be a bit more pragmatic, or it's going to be a bit useless anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...