Pontesford Rocks Fall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Clarke 28 Jul 2022

When we left  Pontesford Rocks yesterday afternoon there were some big loose blocks ready to go, at the bottom of the popular descent route from West Buttress, on the left as you look at the crag. I understand from a mate who went in the evening that they did indeed go, as their team arrived. I'll be back there next week to see what state it's in, but for now be cautious if intending to use this and check it out first. Other options are to do a short ab off the oak tree or find the necessary moral fibre to face the grisly Grassy Gully descent on the right-hand side of the buttress.

OP Andy Clarke 02 Aug 2022
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Was back at the crag yesterday and can report that the descent path is still usable with care. However, the rockfall has left a large perched block that it would be best not to put all your weight on, so I'd acquaint yourself with this before climbing.

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Interesting. I was there on Saturday and used what I take to be the usual descent route, scrambling down just to the L of the oak tree of Oak Tree Wall, and I didn’t notice anything.

Please don’t ‘do a short abseil off the tree’, people! It’ll kill it; indeed it is visibly killing it. We’re better than that, or at least we can and should be.

jcm

OP Andy Clarke 02 Aug 2022
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

As I said, the normal descent route is still usable - but there is very definitely a large block almost at the bottom with a gap under it where another one used to be until last week. It's worth noting this because I think too many ham-fisted clamberings will soon start to weaken its grip on this mortal world.

Fair point about the tree. In my (partial) defence, I only meant to suggest this as a stopgap till I could check what had happened.

Post edited at 18:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...