Carn Gowla Restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 salix 15 Aug 2023

Is climbing at Carn Gowla allowed yet?

The RAD says:

"Restrictions apply from 15/3 to 31/7"

And:

"A temporary ban has been put in place by the National Trust covering the area of cliff between Tubby Head and Bawden Cliff"

I guess the temporary ban overrules the normal seasonal ban. But at some point the chicks will be independent, and will the ban still stand?

I realise there's also "an issue in relation to the citation for the protection of the general bird assemblage with the SSSI designation" (from previous thread https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/crag_access/carn_gowla_access_restriction...?), so perhaps that's still in force?

Also I'm not sure where Bawden Cliff is - I assume beneath Bawden Manor Farm, and before Newdowns Head?

If Carn Gowla should be avoided in it's entirety until further notice then I'd suggest removing the information about seasonal restrictions from the RAD as it sows a bit of confusion.

Post edited at 16:32
 Iain Peters 15 Aug 2023
In reply to salix:

Hi. I'm the BMC Access Rep for the N Coast of Cornwal, Lands End and the Lizard. Have been negotiating with the NT about lifting the total seasonal ban on climbing at Carn Gowla for certain sectors where there are no nesting sea birds without much success I have to say. The problem is that peregrines are nesting on the crag. They have now fledged and I have been assured that as soon as the young birds have left the nesting site the Trust will inform me and climbing can take place. Hopefully this will be within the next week or so and I will then update the RAD and post here.

I am hoping that we can start meaningful negotiations over the winter and early spring of next year with both the NT, Nature England, RSPB and other organisations to establish a working compromise by allowing climbing to take place where these Schedule 1 birds and other seabirds will not be impacted. At present the ban is both temporay and voluntary although any wilful disturbance of Schedule 1 birds is covered by criminal law. Unfortunately there is a grey area with regard to what constitutes wilful disturbance. This is a subject that we will be hoping to resolve for next year. Unlike the urban peregrines in Avon Gorge the seacliff birds have been hit by Avian Flu and their numbers depleted. We need to obtain solid data as we're concerned that other species of S1 birds such as Choughs are moving into new breeding habitats that could well effect climbing on the more popular crags of the Lands End peninsula.

Bawden Cliff refers to the area centred on each side of the America Buttress and is named after the large stack out to sea.

In short, avoid Carn Gowla for the next week or so. 

FactorXXX 15 Aug 2023
In reply to Iain Peters:

> We need to obtain solid data as we're concerned that other species of S1 birds such as Choughs are moving into new breeding habitats that could well effect climbing on the more popular crags of the Lands End peninsula.

Not sure what to make about that statement.
I know that as climbers we don't want to lose climbing if it can be helped, but shouldn't we be happy (even if reluctantly) that Choughs are nesting in new areas?

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Not sure what to make about that statement.

> I know that as climbers we don't want to lose climbing if it can be helped, but shouldn't we be happy (even if reluctantly) that Choughs are nesting in new areas?

if it's because they're spreading out rather than being displaced, yes. But are they really doing it in August??

FactorXXX 15 Aug 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> if it's because they're spreading out rather than being displaced, yes. But are they really doing it in August??

Does it really matter what the reason is?
I assume that the reference to new Chough nesting sites refers to next season and not now. 

Iain Peters 15 Aug 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

Of course we should be, but the evidence from those who have climbed in close proximity to Choughs is that they are not unduly disturbed by the presence of climbers. In fact I have been told that they are now ousting the ubiquitos jackdaws on some cliffs.  This is where the data can help. The point I am making is that, as climbers and hillwalkers we need to engage fully at every level with the many conservation interests. These are critical times for our native flora and fauna as well as humans! IMO it has to be better for all concerned that there is a dialogue between all parties. For example, curlews are being reintroduced on Dartmoor, the ban on wild camping may well soon be lifted and hopefully written into CRoW legislation across the country. The two may well go hand in hand. Climbing  is a permitted activity so if climbers are sidelined in the decision making process on where they can climb and when without consultation then more and more arbitrary bans and citations may well see people taking the law into their own hands. We need to be part of the solution not the problem.

In reply to Iain Peters:

> Of course we should be, but the evidence from those who have climbed in close proximity to Choughs is that they are not unduly disturbed by the presence of climbers.

I haven't seen that written anywhere but they clearly don't mind being fired at by tanks all hours of the night, so have often wondered...

spenser 15 Aug 2023
In reply to Iain Peters:

Several points Iain:

1. Class act, great work on the update, I know this has been going on for awhile based on what you have said.

2. I think the wild camping ban on Dartmoor has already been quashed? https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/england-wild-camping-right-to-roam

3. From what I understand, climbers tend to scare off egg thieves as it's fairly obvious what the nefarious gits are up to and they are very visible while doing so.

OP salix 15 Aug 2023
In reply to Iain Peters:

Thanks so much for the reply and, more importantly all the access work you do.

Will keep away till I hear otherwise. Obviously great that the birds are doing well.

In reply to Iain Peters:

Any movement on this?

Jim blackford 08 Sep 2023

I saw on a Facebook post a week or two ago that's it's been unbanned for the rest of 2023, but will likely be bird banned again in the new year 

Mark Kemball 08 Sep 2023

The ban has now been lifted, but we need to sort out a more reasonable arrangement for next year. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...