Cambusbarron Thorntons access?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dr Toph 16 Apr 2023

Just stumbled across the logbook page indicating that Cambu In is closed and fenced off

Cambusbarron Quarry (aka Thorntons Quarry)

Anyone have any further info about the situation there? Permanent closure and in-filling or something? Hope not!

Thanks

finc00 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Dr Toph:

There was some chat about it on Central Belt Trad Collective recently, I think the consensus was it was closed for felling as the larch trees around the top of the quarry are diseased

smally 16 Apr 2023
In reply to Dr Toph:

Hi Toph,

The guide book work never stops!

Had passed by before Easter and looked in on Thornton's after hearing of possible issues. Tilly Quarries, who own that area of Gillies Hill, had done a lot of felling work earlier in the winter. Some of it was statutory removal of larch due to Phytophthora and also general thinning of the woodland. All the larch around the quarry rim are gone, goodbye easy belays, and the quarry floor is a bit of a mess in places from vehicles and felling. The quarry is a lot more open and will get a lot more light and wind now, so maybe a good thing. It just needs a tidy up.

A new stock fence has been put in surrounding the whole quarry, unlike the old one that just ran around the rim. So the access track from the car park is now blocked by the fence, there is a generic safety notice on the fence saying 'Do not climb', 'Stay away' and other signs with ' Danger, fall from height'.  There are no specific notices saying climbing is banned.

I didn't look in on Forth quarry. I could imagine the new fence and signage are the owners doing a bit of box ticking for liability. Surprised similar has not appeared at Forth.

Cheers

In reply to smally:

Just to confirm that the new fence has also been put around the top of Fourth quarry with new warning signs  but not around the base so access to those climbs is still available.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...