Bird Nesting Restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowan 10 Aug 2023

Looking at the bird nesting restrictions for my local crag Rockdust. On the logbooks there is an unambiguous warning to stay away from the crag because of a Kestral nesting. I want to be absolutely scrupulous about not disturbing birds. There is an indication that the nesting season "usually" ends by the start of August. We are well into August and the main unambiguous instruction on the logbook still remains. There is a green 'all clear' on the "bird and nesting updates" site.

My suspicion is that it is now Ok to climb there, but I would like to be sure. Could somebody enlighten me.... also it would be good if the various sources of information referred to by UKC were consistent. I think this issue almost certainly applies to other crags too. Thanks in advance. 

In reply to David Cowan:

The only way to be certain that the young have left the nest is for someone to go and check. If the crag is local to you it may as well be you, the parents will get agitated if the nest is still active and an immediate retreat is then required. By this time of year I would be very surprised if there are still unfledged young.

I agree that consistency between sources of information is highly desirable but remember that most of the access and bird restriction information is maintained by volunteers who have all the other demands of life.

OP David Cowan 12 Aug 2023
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Thanks for the reply. If it is acceptable to visit a site and leave if there is any evidence of an agitated bird then that is fine. Happy to check things out in that way. As I said though the instruction was very clear on the crag description  that nobody should climb there…or, I assumed, go there. So we end up with a little bit of a chicken and egg situation. Is there a way you can let others know that the birds have gone? Should I leave a message on the crag description?

In reply to David Cowan:

>  On the logbooks there is an unambiguous warning to stay away from the crag because of a Kestral nesting. 

No there isn't. There is a dated observational comment that in late May this year a Kestrel nest was present and to avoid climbing at that time. Have you messaged the UKC crag moderator to ask for an update?

The more general restriction ends in July, though as others have posted if you find there is a bird nesting you should generally back off rather than disturb it, at any time of year. 

Most Kestrels start nesting in late April or early May, incubate for 4 weeks then fledge another 32 to 37 days later, so should have fledged and gone by mid July and a second clutch is very unusual.

Since the agreed "bird ban" has finished, the Mountaineering.scot site lists it as "green" and the May birds are almost certain to have gone you are free to climb, unless you find birds nesting when you arrive. 

Post edited at 17:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...