Bird nesting on Neb Buttress, Bamford.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattck 07 Jul 2023

What we believe may be Kestrels are nesting on Neb Buttress, between Custard's Last Stand and Oracle. Couldn't identify the birds for sure, but there were visible mature birds and sounds of numerous smaller ones. 

Post edited at 22:47
In reply to mattck:

I meant to get back to this last week but completely forgot.

I'm pretty sure that they were nesting elsewhere, not least because if they had been nesting on Neb Buttress it would have been noticed a lot sooner, because they're pretty popular routes. In addition to this, I'm pretty sure that kestrels have fledged anyway - not least because I was up there last week and saw (much like you) two adults and three juveniles, elsewhere on the crag.

That said, I'll forward this on to Kim Leyland to double check.

Team BMC 12 Jul 2023
In reply to mattck:

Thanks both. I'll hold off on putting a notice on the RAD unless Kim thinks otherwise.

OP mattck 12 Jul 2023
In reply to mattck:

Thanks guys. I sent a message and photo of the bird to Kim at the time, who's looking into it.

We also doubted the nesting aspect at this point in the year, so hung around for a while to see. It's was only when we heard a chorus of different sounds emanate from the spot that we assumed a nest. There are also a tonne of droppings below the area, if that's any indication. I'm no bird expert, so just wanted to be certain. 

Post edited at 18:39
 Kim 13 Jul 2023
In reply to mattck:

I had a look this morning, and I think they have actually nested in this spot. The hole with all the droppings is an ideal nest site, and with bits of down, and lots of pellets and splashing, certainly looks like a used (successful) Kestrel scrape. No chicks present now so presumably fledged but still using the crag.

Once they have settled in a spot (they can be disturbed more easily in the early stages of breeding), Kestrels seem pretty tolerant of people and the females will sit surprisingly tight on the eggs. On the most popular routes there (Bamford Wall etc) people would be out of line of sight of the hole, and there are relatively fewer ascents of Oracle. Also, the floor of the hole extends a long way back into the crag so there would be plenty of space for chicks to retreat/hide from climbers once they got to that stage.

That said, it would be good to hear if anyone did see anything while climbing any of these routes in the last couple of months so we could confirm successful breeding.

Another Kestrel pair nested in the quarry at Bamford and fledged 6 young this year too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...