Abseil bolts, Wintours Leap Go-Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Powley 13 Feb 2023

Hi there, 

Just wondering if anyone has any info on the abseil bolts under The Isle of Dogs (7a+) that would seemingly allow you access to the small terrace to reach Dinosaur Heaven: Return from Extinction (7c)

Went there today and the hangers are missing, but the washers and nuts are still on the bolts. Dunno if it's dodgy bolts/rock or something?

Cheese Monkey 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Powley:

Assuming they're 12mm ill check it out and if ok put some on next time I'm down

OP Powley 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Hi Cheese,

Thanks for offering to take a look 🙂 They look like 12mm to me, should have take a picture now I think about it... Just thought it was odd the washers and nuts were still there - wondered if someone knew something we didn't.

It's the two that are in the Pedestal if you know that spot

Cheese Monkey 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Powley:

Yes i know where they are cheers

Cheese Monkey 28 Feb 2023
In reply to Powley:

Hi mate went back and refreshed my memory. They're 10mm bolts placed in the floor which isn't great for their longevity and they are on (admittedly the easy bit) of Surrealist p2 so there is an argument that they shouldn't be there at all. The current guide states to create an abseil anchor with the twin pegs and nuts in the crack above the pedestal which I think is adequate. If you don't like that sort of thing you could back it up to a bolt above the overhang with a stick clip but no idea how you'd get it back. Sorry not made the progress you'd like but hopefully that helps.

OP Powley 28 Feb 2023
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Hey Cheese. Thanks for checking it out, makes sense 👍 We went back last weekend as well and inevitably backed up the pitons and had an excursion to the ledge. 

There's a hefty amount of large-ish blocks that aren't holding on by much about 5/6meters under the pedestal. Probably worth mentioning if anyone plans to go there. You can avoid them when climbing out but I wouldn't want to be on ground underneath them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...