UKC

Most photogenic Boulder shape

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ramon Marin 27 Nov 2023

I'm in the process of designing a poster and the client has asked me to use an iconic boulder that is recognisable. I had in mind "Not to be take away", but once drawn, the bloc looks very indistinctive. My fallback option is "The Rhino" in Rocklands as that is very recognisable shape, but I like something in the UK possibly, if not Europe. I tried Bowderstone but again, once drawn is not a very recognisable shape, same with Jerry's roof and the Whale traverse. Any ideas greatly appreciated

GPN 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

The Tetris boulder at the Roaches maybe?

Birks 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

That's a tricky one. Would be helpful to know more about what the poster is for? eg is it a poster for a climbing comp or are Skoda trying to fully lockup the climbing market with latest Octavia ad?

If its the latter, midnight lightning would be good/recognisable.

If UK-centric, maybe the Angels share?

Maggot 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Elephants Arse, Wimberry.

OP Ramon Marin 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Birks:

Ah I'd love it to be for Skoda so maybe I would actually get paid for it. No, it's for a climbing wall in UK. 

Jon Read 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

The Calf (and Cow), Ilkley?

In reply to GPN:

Good suggestion, will try it. Someone else suggested the Ship in Torridon, looks very iconic. Deliverance doesn't draw well. Currently trying Brass Monkeys, see if it works. 

alan moore 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Surprised the Bowderstone doesn't work. End on, with the steps?

The Elephant in Fontainbleau?

Brimham Cubic Block

Or The Calf at Ilkley?

PaulJepson 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

I think the most recognisable one with climbing on in the Peak (Eastern, anyway) would be Mothercap? It cuts a pretty iconic shape from certain angles. 

plyometrics 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Indian’s Head at Bridestones?

In reply to Ramon Marin:

You didn't mention California but how about the Grandpa peabody boulder? certainly iconic, a nice silouette of a climber below the lip on something like Lucid dreaming or evilution. Not to mention the super classic Mandela nearby.

Moacs 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

L'elephant in Font

In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

Yes I considered that, but I rather have one in UK. Some really good suggestions above, specially mother cap 

pasbury 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Something at at Bees or Porth Ysgo? Strong shapes and features. Good colours too if you're using it.

Our how about the ones in Langdale? Beautiful features.

I'm interested in drawing boulders too and be interested in your criteria for 'draws well'.

Edit, missed the iconic bit so these prob don't fit.

Post edited at 17:50
 JimR 27 Nov 2023
In reply to pasbury:

Eagle Boulder , Dumbarton

climber34neil 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

The superbloc,  with maybe someone in purple haze, looking at the prow with the sea behind

Tintagel North

deacondeacon 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Careless Torque

Crescent Arete

Sauvito

Tetris

The Eagle Stone

Hampers Hang

Yoghurt Hypnotist

Simon Pelly 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Napes Needle

broken spectre 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Are you allowed to exaggerate the shape of the boulder? I reckon sometimes, things are more recognisable if they're caricatured Sounds a cool project.

SteveJC94 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Low Rider or Voyager could work if drawn from the right perspective

petegunn 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Have to agree with Alan - the Bowderstone side on with ladder must be right up there!!

https://img.ukclimbing.com/i/195033?fm=jpg&time=1577372941&s=ec1219...

https://img.ukclimbing.com/i/91231?fm=jpg&time=1560506912&dpr=1&...

I quite like that big split boulder at Red Rocks/Kraft area:

https://img.ukclimbing.com/i/212249?fm=jpg&time=1565216862&dpr=1&am...

Post edited at 21:11
 ebdon 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

There are better suggestions out there but as this is a fun little exercise I'm going to chuck Boyager (f7A+) in.

It's harder than you might think as most are bassically big cubes

DaveHK 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Matterhorn boulder at Almscliff?

Post edited at 22:26
 DaveHK 27 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Good suggestion, will try it. Someone else suggested the Ship in Torridon, looks very iconic. 

The Ship was my first thought but its probably not that well known in the big scheme of things.

ebdon 27 Nov 2023
In reply to ebdon:

What about hampers hang from a distance? (could even squeeze a millstone or 2 in)

Andy Hardy 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Ah I'd love it to be for Skoda so maybe I would actually get paid for it. No, it's for a climbing wall in UK. 

whereabouts is the wall? I would pick a boulder fairly local, so the punters could reasonably be expected to know it.

griff90 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

The sheep at burbage south would be fairly recognisable from its outline. It's also a boulder that loads or people will have seen

The Sheep (f7A)

Post edited at 07:55
OP Ramon Marin 28 Nov 2023
In reply to pasbury:

It's a good question, and to be honest I only know once I start drawing whether it will work or not. Shapes that work graphically (for my purposes anyways) are boulders that are undercut rather than squat, and if they are stand alone so it's an isolated shape. the Bowderstone is a good example of that. Then ideally would have a problem right on the edge so the silhouette of the climber is distinguishable. 

C Witter 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

It's not necessarily what you're after, but Midnight Lightning with the lightning bolt drawn in is very iconic and could be recognised from a line drawing.

Lankyman 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> It's a good question, and to be honest I only know once I start drawing whether it will work or not. Shapes that work graphically (for my purposes anyways) are boulders that are undercut rather than squat, and if they are stand alone so it's an isolated shape. the Bowderstone is a good example of that. Then ideally would have a problem right on the edge so the silhouette of the climber is distinguishable. 

The Rabbit Stone at Queens Crag might fit your criteria? It's not widely known though.

bozzy 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

For anyone in & around London then its the Mabley Green boulder.

Iconic shape : https://www.peeruk.org/chrisdorleybrownjohnfrankland

HakanT 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

If you want recognisable, maybe L’Elephant or Midnight Lightning?

if you want photogenic, how about this boulder at Calico Hills in Nevada?

https://climberkyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/20211011_131428-1536x115...

In reply to Lankyman:

Indeed very good looking bloc that! 

In reply to Ross Barker:

Yes but unfortunately once drawn you won't be able to tell what they are

In reply to HakanT:

Elephant is on the list. ML is actually not that iconic other than the lighting strike but it doesn't work as poster, just looks like big lump. If those split boulders were in UK then that would be a no brainer...

HakanT 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

The UK requirement rules out my next suggestion which was going to be The Hatchling in Rocklands

In reply to Ramon Marin:

Razor Roof (f6C) is one I expect a lot of people would recognise.

In reply to Ramon Marin:

> It's a good question, and to be honest I only know once I start drawing whether it will work or not. Shapes that work graphically (for my purposes anyways) are boulders that are undercut rather than squat, and if they are stand alone so it's an isolated shape. the Bowderstone is a good example of that. Then ideally would have a problem right on the edge so the silhouette of the climber is distinguishable. 

Trackside (f7A) ?

Dave Todd 28 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Eagle Stone, Baslow?

https://27crags.com/crags/baslow-edge/topos/eagle-stone

Undercut (a bit) and stand-alone (a lot!)...

lewisrae 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Norther soul, Hepburn 

ebdon 29 Nov 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I initially thought of both razor roof and trackside, but actually both are pretty boring 'blobs' in terms of their outline IMHO, the former being set into the hillside especially.  It's a tricker than expected question!

JLS 29 Nov 2023
 iamstebarker 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramon Marin:

something on this could give a good outline of the climber and boulder as there’s nothing behind. Uk based, but potentially not well enough known

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/queens_crag-1037/#photos&gid=1...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/queens_crag-1037/the_magicians_nep...

Post edited at 07:10
 Dave Hewitt 30 Nov 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

> Matterhorn boulder at Almscliff?

The Matterhorn rock on Grey Friar?

https://www.go4awalk.com/userpics/davidhayter174.php

ebdon 30 Nov 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

OK, I might concede Razor roof is OK, but I still think the trackside boulder is a pretty dull lump, even if it does contain some iconic climbs.

OP Ramon Marin 30 Nov 2023
In reply to iamstebarker:

That's bang on

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...