Wahoo Bolt V2 - questions on nav and prevalence of bugs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave B 07 Jul 2022

If you've got one, is it pretty robust now, wrt bugs in the firmware? 

Quick Q - if you upload a simple gpx route file without any turn-by-turn instructions, does the unit add these in as its a proper mapping system now? Obvs my old V1 can't do that.

Second Q. Can you do a 'take me there' on the unit rather than on the mobile app? If only on the mobile app, do you need a data connection to be able to do this? 

Just thinking before I look at upgrading... 

After a spate of road closures on our backroad routes, on the fly re-routing is looking increasingly useful!

Tim Bevan 07 Jul 2022
In reply to Dave B:

Check out the Beeline Velo 2 if it's mainly for nav.

OP Dave B 07 Jul 2022
In reply to Tim Bevan:

Thanks due the info, but I need it to do all the other things to, like control my turbo, record HR and power etc.

I also want real maps on screen.

I'm just curious about a couple of features. 

The alternative is the garmin 530,... The karoo is to much money. 

Marek 07 Jul 2022
In reply to Dave B:

> After a spate of road closures on our backroad routes, on the fly re-routing is looking increasingly useful!

Sorry for the tangential question (don't have a Bolt), but are your road closures really non-passable by bike? I've only once or twice come across such a beast - usually you can ride or walk round any obstruction - the workmen (if there are any) almost always say "Just be careful round machinery" or similar. The only recent one I can remember was a stuck swing-bridge on a canal and I wasn't prepared to swim across!

OP Dave B 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Marek:

Sadly, yes. Yesterday's was particularly mad, 50m of road closed with high fencing, with no way thru... But no work being done. The week before das tree felling, and they didn't want us going thru. Both needed quite long detours, not signposted fully, where the cars went onto a big a road, that I didn't fancy.

Is not much, but I don't want ti upgrade if I don't get any benefit from doing so.

kylo-342 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Dave B:

1) yes. And you can upload GPX via Bluetooth without need for WiFi.  On the fly re routing seems to work

2) in theory although this isn’t working- I reported it to wahoo who say it’s a known bug and will fix it in an upcoming update but no timeline given.

OP Dave B 08 Jul 2022
In reply to kylo-342:

Thanks. 

Stenton 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Dave B:

> The karoo is to much money. 

£80 discount if you care to trade in your Bolt V1 though - brings it to approx the same price as a new Bolt V2

The Karoo is bomber on GPX upload/syncing and on on-the-fly rerouting

Cusco 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Dave B:

I've got a Wahoo Bolt v2 but don't know the answers to your questions because:

(1) I know the roads in my immediate area very well and have only had to use routing from a gpx function twice since January when heading into previously unknown areas and can't recall whether the gpx had turn by turn instructions embedded - but however it worked, it got me through the wilds and confusing lanes of mid-Devon well.

2) For the same reason I've never had to use any 'take me there' option as yet.

But it's good and easy to use and has big buttons which is useful with gloves or cold fingers.  One function I like on the main screen is the gradient stat with background colouring which turns from green to orange to light red to deep burgundy 'Bloody hell this is steep'. All quite fun to see on a typical lumpy ride around the hills of South and East Devon and Dartmoor. 

OP Dave B 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Stenton:

Sadly, some one had their eye on the bolt v1. See other thread.  

OP Dave B 08 Jul 2022
In reply to Cusco:

TA. All useful feedback. 

kylo-342 09 Jul 2022
In reply to Cusco:

Hi Cusco, can I ask you a favour - would you mind testing whether the ‘take me to’ function works on your  bolt2 pls?  (I.e via the app not on the bolt2 directly) It would help me determine whether my unit is faulty or whether it’s a general issue.      The issue I have is that the app won’t set a route, a box pops up with “failed to create route”….thanks!  Should only take a moment!

Post edited at 06:12
 Cusco 10 Jul 2022
In reply to kylo-342:

Hi Kylo

Well. Your query means that I now know a little more about the functionality of both the unit and the app. Although for a Luddite like me, who hadn't read any online user manual, it took a fair bit of trial and error.

So I can (now) do a 'Take me home' route on the app which then successfully uploads to the unit (as well as doing the same on the unit directly- but it seems a bit more fiddly than using the map on the app). The app could be far more intuitive though with much clearer headings and separate pages rather than burying things away (alternatively I could download an online user guide and actually read it). So I went to View Route then used the cross in the blue circle in the bottom right of the page which then seems to load up options like Take Me Home, Retrace Route etc.

Hope you get the glitch sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...