Trek Fx 3 disc or Triban Rc 520

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kp1 24 May 2020

Hi,

Due to the current restrictions in Ireland and no climbing for another month, I’ve decided to buy a bike. The last one that I owned was a bmx 30 years ago so I haven’t a clue. I’m thinking on a hybrid instead of a pure road bike so I can travel on the rough roads as well. My only option in the local shop is the Trek FX 3 Disc 2020 model. I’m at the mercy of sales assistant in the shop as my own knowledge is zero, does anyone have experience with this particular bike and is it any good?

The other option is the Triban Rc520 flat bar but I’d have to buy that online. It seems to get great reviews but my nearest Decathlon is over 2 hours away so I can’t go there to see it in person. 
Thanks.

hbeevers 24 May 2020
In reply to kp1:

The Triban 520 gives you a considerably better spec. If you're wanting to go on rougher ground some 700c x 32-36 tires set-up tubeless would be worthwhile for you but you'll be surprised what the 28 width tires that it comes with can handle.

Decathlon also make a gravel specific version already called the RC 520 Gravel...

Unless you're planning on this being a dedicated gravel/cross country bike I'd go for the drop bar version of the 520 and purchase some fatter tires for a tubeless setup.

Basemetal 25 May 2020
In reply to kp1:

Good luck getting hold of a Triban from Decathlon online just now. I've been trying to buy a bike from them for a month , but every day they tell me their delivery slots are full. Their advice was try at 11pm when orders reset for the next day, but that was three weeks ago and no joy yet. I've watched the bikes I've been after go out of stock in my size. 

I was ideally after a Van Rysel EDR AF, but would have bought a Triban 520. (the Van Rysel is lighter, with rim brakes).

You might have more luck if your store is nearer?

OP kp1 26 May 2020
In reply to kp1:

Thanks for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...