Simple way to kickstart a diet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 14 Mar 2021

Forgot to wash and dry out my go to long bibs ( Pearl Izumi - medium  ) so just put on an old pair of  Italian designer ones (  castellli s also medium .)  My reaction  to the odly shaped fellow I saw in the mirror was not for Sunday  morning reading .  Luckily it’s raining so I’m going to put a loose fitting jacket on over the melon shaped object that I appear to have stuffed in them .  

nufkin 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Most cycling brands' sizing seems deliberately designed to deflate one's ego

summo 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

To fit into a medium you need the physique of someone who has just finished TdF or a 12yr old. Can you imagine how small size small is. 

plyometrics 14 Mar 2021
In reply to nufkin:

Most middle aged blokes haven’t realised that Rapha is actually a cycling clothing company for kids...

robert-hutton 14 Mar 2021
In reply to plyometrics:

Four replys all blaming the clothing not themselves, it's march slim down😊

girlymonkey 14 Mar 2021
In reply to nufkin:

Running kit can be very similar. My brother in law is very slim, generally wears a small in normal clothing, has to buy large shorts from some running brands! 

Shani 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

> My reaction  to the odly shaped fellow I saw in the mirror was not for Sunday  morning reading .  Luckily it’s raining so I’m going to put a loose fitting jacket on over the melon shaped object that I appear to have stuffed in them .  

The quickest way to fix this is what I like to call "Mirror 180s":

1. Face the mirror

2. Take a slow, deep breath*

3. Turn 180 degrees.

*Step 2 not always essential. 

Toby_W 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

I will never buy any shorts but Assos ever again but I did try Castelli a year or two back as they look well fitted and well made.  I’m 6’3 and ~76kg plus or minus 2.  Pulled on a pair and they felt good, until I hooked the shoulder straps over, at which point I did a very good impression of Gollum scampering round the shop hissing and trying to get them off.  Went up to XXXXL or something before I got the length by which time an entire cycling team could have fit in them with me.  Motto, Italian stuff is not for me😂😂

Cheers

Toby

OP mike123 14 Mar 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

> Four replys all blaming the clothing not themselves, it's march slim down😊

hopefully you will take the following in the spirit it is intended ( not mean ) : f£&k off 

are you seriously trying to tell me  that it’s the beer , red wine and family sized bags of Doritos ? < pftt - scoffs derisively >

OP mike123 14 Mar 2021
In reply to Shani:

> The quickest way to fix this is what I like to call "Mirror 180s":

> 1. Face the mirror

> 2. Take a slow, deep breath*

> 3. Turn 180 degrees.

> *Step 2 not always essential. 

What about If step 2 is impossible ?

Shani 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

> What about If step 2 is impossible ?

Perchance this suggests you've MUCH bigger problems? 😆

robert-hutton 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Your location gave you away😊

GrahamD 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Ahh the "Castelli Belly" syndrome 😅

crayefish 14 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Question is... who cares if your belly sticks out?  Let your riding do the talking, not your belly

Agree that some bibs do emphasise last night's trip to the curry house, but who can see when you zoom past? 🤷‍♂️

nniff 15 Mar 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

> I will never buy any shorts but Assos ever again but I did try Castelli a year or two back as they look well fitted and well made.  I’m 6’3 and ~76kg plus or minus 2.  Pulled on a pair and they felt good, until I hooked the shoulder straps over, at which point I did a very good impression of Gollum scampering round the shop hissing and trying to get them off.  Went up to XXXXL or something before I got the length by which time an entire cycling team could have fit in them with me.  Motto, Italian stuff is not for me😂😂

> Cheers

> Toby

I'm only 6 feet tall and have the same problem - if it fits below the waist I can't stand  up in them.  Paradoxically, a Castelli large jersey fits fine in the body - god knows what they look like on an Italian.   Assos shorts and longs for me too

Dark-Cloud 15 Mar 2021
In reply to crayefish:

You just have to avoid looking sideways into shop windows and catching your reflection.....

Dark-Cloud 15 Mar 2021
In reply to nniff:

That's how they are meant to be !

nniff 15 Mar 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

There's 'can't stand up', and there's 'being screwed up into a ball'.  These are in the latter category.  Assos seem to manage it.   I can't reconcile the difference between the back-length of their shorts and their jerseys

OP mike123 15 Mar 2021
In reply to crayefish: 

> Question is... who cares if your belly sticks out?  Let your riding do the talking, not your belly

> Agree that some bibs do emphasise last night's trip to the curry house, but who can see when you zoom past? 🤷‍♂️

zoom past you say ? Hmmmm . 

when I commented to my mate I looked like I was trying to smuggle a melon his retort was most unedifying .

” No you don’t . You look like you re trying  to smuggle a melon and a tangerine “ 

Post edited at 11:26
cb294 15 Mar 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

Yes, welcome to the club! I had to extend the suspenders on my cycling shorts as well as on my ME salopettes.... Who do they design them for? The mysterious woman without a torso?

CB

deepsoup 15 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet that you can buy nice cycling gear that fits well even if you're not a stick insect.  (Though if you can squeeze into a Castelli medium at all - even if you can't breathe while you're wearing it - their smallest may be slightly too big for you.)

https://fatladattheback.com/

Nice cycling gear to fit men and women from large-ish up to very big indeed, designed specifically not to make you look like a shrink-wrapped chicken.  (Also the only bike clothing manufacturer to offer colours including 'pie' and 'cake'.)

RX-78 15 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Whatever else you do, don't  put on the leg warmers first!

cb294 15 Mar 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

You are my saviour!

CB

crayefish 15 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

> when I commented to my mate I looked like I was trying to smuggle a melon his retort was most unedifying .

> ” No you don’t . You look like you re trying  to smuggle a melon and a tangerine “ 

Where exactly did you put the tangerine?  😳

OP mike123 15 Mar 2021

> Where exactly did you put the tangerine?  😳

I’m guessing you’ve never worn or tried on any Castelli shorts

crayefish 16 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Actually I do have a set of Castelli bib shorts and top. 

I agree that they're less flattering than my DHBs on the belly front.  However, I find that the tangerine is more of a satsuma in the castellis, compared to the full orange of my DHBs   Though the thicker pad of the DHBs does give more of a nappy look at the back... either way, I'm sure I look pretty stupid in both!  🤣

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...