Ribble own brand components

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smollett 03 Feb 2021

Anyone have any thoughts on the ribble own brand components (level)? I recently got a new bike but it is heavier than expected. When weighing the own brand components they are heavier than stated weights.

Basically trying to find out why weight is excessive despite a lot of upgrades on the build and wondering if anyone else had experienced the same

JLS 03 Feb 2021
In reply to smollett:

Ribble are generally good value but yes, they have always historically understated the weight of items. I once bought a frame quoted as 1100g which turned out to actually be 1400g.  

OP smollett 04 Feb 2021

My bike is approx. 0.5kg above the lower spec build stated on their website. Whilst not a huge weight difference it is a bit disappointing. Especially since the bike cost more than any car I've bought and is a big purchase for me.

Waiting for a call from them to see what they say.

Marek 04 Feb 2021
In reply to smollett:

I wouldn't hold out much hope - I estimate about 80-90% for components are a bit heavier than their stated weight. Any manufacturing process has tolerances and for anything that has to be light-but-strong the decent manufacturer will always err on the heavier-but-stronger side.

gethin_allen 04 Feb 2021
In reply to smollett:

What size is the frame and are you weighing it with or without pedals? The stated weights always seems to be for a medium without pedals.

My only other guess is that they calculated the weight from part weights and they missed out all the essentials like cables, hoses and bar tape.

I was annoyed when my Fulcrum wheels arrived 100g over the advertised weight and when questioned I was told that the weight excluded the freehub and rim tape. Not going to get far without a freehub.

OP smollett 05 Feb 2021
In reply to gethin_allen:

Mine is an M frame which is the same as the one quoted in the build on their site. Yes I added pedals but have no idea if they included pedals in their weight. Considering stripping it down to see if frame and fork are as stated. Will try get hold of them again first. They are being quite elusive.

jbrom 05 Feb 2021
In reply to smollett:

It's very unlikely that pedals would be included in the quoted weight. A pair of 105 pedals is 285g, if you have also fitted bottle cages and Garmin/Wahoo mount then you would be getting towards your unaccounted for 500g.

The only way to be sure is as you say, to strip it down and weigh components to work out where the extra mass is. Good advice upthread about tires.

Edit to add, I must have dreamed  a poster suggesting tires as something to look at, these are often changed from the original spec due to supply etc and a lot of extra weight could be added to the total if cheaper tires have been used than the build they weighed for their marketing.

Post edited at 20:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...