MTB e-bike conversion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 magma 30 Aug 2023

just purchased an old steel kona 1x9 26" (v brake) as an e-bike conversion for a friend.

thinking front wheel drive 36v 250w kit with downtube battery, but surprisingly hard to find. much easier to find 500W+ motors.  any user recommendations?

Post edited at 17:54
 LastBoyScout 30 Aug 2023
In reply to magma:

Only comment I'd make is that front wheel drive isn't great uphill off road, as you can't easily get the weight over the wheel to get the required traction.

Rear wheel drive much better for MTB.

This might help: https://ebiketips.road.cc/

wilkie14c 30 Aug 2023
In reply to magma:

Dillinger. Not cheap but good kits, converted my wife’s rim braked MTB with their 250w front kit. It went surprisingly well, no sign of lack of traction on the front wheel as I thought it might. Battery cage fitted to the bottle cage mounts, just get an alternative bottle mount

OP magma 31 Aug 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

think i may go for a mid-drive - only a little more expensive eg Tongsheng 36V 250W TSDZ2B for £280

In reply to wilkie14c:

> Dillinger. Not cheap but good kits, converted my wife’s rim braked MTB with their 250w front kit. It went surprisingly well, no sign of lack of traction on the front wheel as I thought it might. Battery cage fitted to the bottle cage mounts, just get an alternative bottle mount

Very interesting - I had a look on their website. Is the wheel supplied fit for off road use?

OP magma 01 Sep 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

this is the mid drive that i'm about to buy (36v 250W tho). prob £100 cheaper with battery

than £599 for dillinger front  kit..

youtube.com/watch?v=P8FFOSwGLzU&

Gormenghast 01 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

> this is the mid drive that i'm about to buy (36v 250W tho). prob £100 cheaper with battery

> than £599 for dillinger front  kit..

What size is the battery? As in watt hours not dimensions. Although dimensions can be important when trying to fit the battery.

OP magma 01 Sep 2023
In reply to Gormenghast:

haven't decided on battery yet but 36V 15Ah should work with above (eg 'UK Warehouse' 365x110x90mm)

here's my base bike - a sweet kona hahanna from the 90s in excellent condition for only  £80

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aq6ceJUHqgaDG1At5

Post edited at 12:46
 Gormenghast 01 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

15Ah will give you plenty of range.

Nice bike👍🏻

wilkie14c 02 Sep 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

I wouldn’t say that but didn’t have any issues other than on my own dillinger kit (rear wheel) would eat the free wheel bearings at a rate of 1 cassette/freewheel per year This was a 1000w motor though (massive torque) and salt/sand environment. No such issues on wife’s front though. They do have shorter than usual spokes regardless of wheel size so feel stiffer side to side.

OP magma 02 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

mid-drive seems like way to go now that prices have come down- none of the disadvantages of front/rear wheel setups..

total cost so far £80 for bike, £280 for kit, £170 for battery..

wilkie14c 02 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

Will save a lot of messing about when you get punctures! keep you stock wheels too 👍

OP magma 02 Sep 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

has a torque sensor as well for a more 'natural ride' than the bafang. may get another kit for my oldgravel bike as i think of bike n+1 (carbon

Gormenghast 02 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

> mid-drive seems like way to go now that prices have come down- none of the disadvantages of front/rear wheel setups..

> total cost so far £80 for bike, £280 for kit, £170 for battery..

Those prices are a lot lower than I paid for my bafang several years ago! Let us know how it turns out 😀

OP magma 05 Sep 2023
In reply to Gormenghast:

first issue - looks like i need lower profile gear cable routing under the BB..

boriselbrus 05 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

If you run full length outer cable you can run it wherever you like. On my Tongshen converting I run it over the top of the motor with no issues. 

In reply to wilkie14c:

Thanks. What I like about the idea of a front wheel drive is the simplicity of it.

OP magma 06 Sep 2023
In reply to boriselbrus:

may try and file down the cable guide..

next issue is bottle cage mounts are too low so need a battery bracket adjuster- £30 for a strip of metal with holes ..

Gormenghast 06 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

> may try and file down the cable guide..

> next issue is bottle cage mounts are too low so need a battery bracket adjuster- £30 for a strip of metal with holes ..

The joys of e-bike diy conversion!😂

I made my battery bracket adjuster out of plywood.

My wife’s full suspension bike had nowhere inside the frame for a mounting so we fitted a bike rack and fixed it to that. Looked quirky but worked a treat.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished bike.😀

stuartf 06 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

If you have access to relevant tools you can use a 90 degree drill to make a new hole in the frame, and a threaded insert pop rivet. Quite tricky to drill exactly on the down tube centerline though.

In reply to magma:

expensive and probably not good for a serious MTB rider but looks interesting for lots of bike riders 

https://www.skarper.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsfa_4c6YgQMVN4ZoCR1LCA3vEAAYASAA...

Mike Stretford 07 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

You should post on uktakeawaydeliveryriders.co.uk (or whatever it's called). Those guys get knackered old mtbs going like sh*t of a stick!

Post edited at 15:15
OP magma 09 Sep 2023
In reply to stuartf:

i used a mounting adjuster in the end. comes in at just under 20kg.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RvXnkgnciqYMbP8V7

managed to squeeze the gear cable guide under the BB.

nothing to compare with but i like its responsiveness, although rather frustrating when you reach 25km/hr. there's some open source firmware available tho..

OP magma 09 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

got into the menu to turn speed limit off- cruising on flat at 30km

OP magma 14 Sep 2023
In reply to magma:

just got a used rear rack battery to try out, but it's designed to plug into a battery holder which i can't source. there's a 5 pin female connection on it with two pairs of +/- with central pin unused.

can anyone explain why e- bike batteies usu have 2 pairs of +/-? presumably i could use a suitable 2 pin spade connector to just one pair?

In reply to magma:

> can anyone explain why e- bike batteies usu have 2 pairs of +/-? 

On at least some setups, one pair is for the, say, 36v or whatever output/input to the motor, and the other pair is for the battery management system (motor/charger) which runs at a lower voltage of 5v. Seems to be various number of pins in the connectors possible depending on make.

I have read that even a very minor fault in the BMS stops the whole system from functioning. My guess therefore is if they are there on your system they will be needed for something and the bike motor/battery charger most likely won’t function correctly without them connected.

Post edited at 17:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...