Mavic Ksyrium Elite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 birdie num num 13 Jun 2018

Hi folks, confused by the Mavic website, I want a Ksyrium Elite wheelset for my bike. 

However, don't want to go tubeless. The website options show the Ksyrium Elite UST as clincher rims, but the blurb in the description suggest tubeless. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance

Removed User 13 Jun 2018
In reply to birdie num num:

You don't have go tubeless on tubeless compatible rims? Good wheels, I have them, nice and stiff for fat knackers.

AFAIK, you can use standard inner-tubes on tubeless rims, but you will need to use rim tape as a plastic tape or Zefal/Velox cotton rim tape will not be fitted as standard.
I think my new rims (a year or so back)were described as tubeless, and IIRC I had to fit my own tape.
Make sure it is "High pressure" tape for racing wheels.

In reply to Removed User and Ghastly Rubberfeet:

I see... I thought I was missing something. I take it that the tubeless option is not like the old tubeless tyres with a sewn in inner tube and a shallow rim that the tyre was bonded onto?

I'm well behind the times

Removed User 13 Jun 2018

Nah. Tubeless is like a car tyre which is a clincher with no inner tube. You're confusing it with tubular for the glued on tyres with a sewn in tube (which is not tubeless as there a tube).

You might be better off with a second hand Raleigh.

chiroshi 14 Jun 2018

You’d be crazy not to go tubeless on these wheels. The mavic UST system is one of the only wheel / tyre combinations where you can almost guarantee it will be easy to fit. They might even come already set up tubeless. 

John2 14 Jun 2018
In reply to chiroshi:

I have the Mavic Ksyrium Elite tubeless wheels. They are great - reasonably light and very stiff. In theory they will never puncture - small holes will immediately be filled by sealant. Take a look at this video -  youtube.com/watch?v=ALVtgcY1YeM&

Fruit 14 Jun 2018
In reply to John2:

Hi you might be able to answer this.

I’ve just got a tubeless mtb. The fluid for the tyres cost about ten quid, but says it goes off in time so I should renew roughly every 3 months. That’s 40 quid a year and on average I get a puncture every 7000km.

also I’m assuming I’m accumulating dried up gunk in the tyre adding weight.

cheers 

In reply to Removed User:

It is a second hand Raleigh, with a basket and a side stand. I've given it a coat of Dulux. Now I want to pimp it properly.

John2 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Fruit:

Sorry, I only bought my road wheels last August. When I checked this May they still had plenty of sealant inside.

Lurking Dave 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Fruit:

MTB advantage is the option to run lower pressures improving traction - try 22-28psi to start (depending on lardiness) and go from there.

The goo does go off with time... but depends greatly on where you store etc.

Cheers

chiroshi 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Fruit:

Buy a bigger bottle of sealant, then it won't cost £10 per time. If you live in a mild climate (the UK for example) a good quality sealant should last longer than 3 months, more like 6. Dried up gunk can be pealed out of the tyre with a bit of patience, and doesn't really add much weight at all. 

Also, if you're only puncturing every 7000km on a MTB, ride harder!

Siward 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

You shouldn't need rim tape on mavics- there aren't any holes (at least not on my carbon ones). Inner tubes should just go straight in.

However the UST system really does work. Really easy to fit the tyres, no problems on mine so far (c.3 months) and I don't see the point of adding inner tubes.

In reply to chiroshi:

> Buy a bigger bottle of sealant, then it won't cost £10 per time. If you live in a mild climate (the UK for example) a good quality sealant should last longer than 3 months, more like 6. Dried up gunk can be pealed out of the tyre with a bit of patience, and doesn't really add much weight at all. 

> Also, if you're only puncturing every 7000km on a MTB, ride harder!

What makes you think they are using road wheels for MTB?

LastBoyScout 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

> AFAIK, you can use standard inner-tubes on tubeless rims, but you will need to use rim tape as a plastic tape or Zefal/Velox cotton rim tape will not be fitted as standard.

> I think my new rims (a year or so back)were described as tubeless, and IIRC I had to fit my own tape.

> Make sure it is "High pressure" tape for racing wheels.

Why would you need rim tape on tubeless rims? It's only there to protect the innertube from the spoke holes and a tubeless rim won't have those anyway.

I have a set of Campag wheels that don't have spoke holes (momag rim) and I don't use rim tape in them - it's adding pointless extra weight.

chiroshi 14 Jun 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I was replying to Fruit, who said

> I’ve just got a tubeless mtb.

chiroshi 14 Jun 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Not all "tubeless ready" rims are like that. Most have visible spoke holes which need to have an airtight tape put over. For those who need this tape, and might be reading this thread now or in the future, you can buy large rolls of Tesa 4289 from ebay for a fraction of the price of any of the branded versions. It's what Stans re-brands for their tape.

LastBoyScout 14 Jun 2018
In reply to chiroshi:

D'oh - slightly misinterpreted GhastlyRubberfeet's post and confused myself with only needing tape if you were ghetto converting non-tubeless rims to tubeless.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...