MapMyRide, Strava and veloviewer - fake GPX data

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 08 Oct 2019

I started using MapMyRide/Run when I first started biking seriously, back in 2011 or so. I was convinced, I forget how, to move to Strava adn have been using it ever since.

Now I have started down the slippery slope that is tile bagging on VeloViewer, and want to import all my historical data. I've followed all sorts of online instructions and tools to convert the MMR ride data into something that Strava can upload, but get all sorts of error messages, from strava, from the tools, etc.

I *think* that the problem is that all my rides created "routes" in MMR rather than "workouts" so they have no time data etc. Or that MMR is stripping out the time data for its own nefarious purposes (what they do with a massive warehouse full of time stamps, I'm not sure). I've barely used it for the last eight years so have no idea how it works anymore.

So I am after a way to fake my rides. I'm not interested in the speed data being accurate (or even inaccurate enough to bag any KOMS!), I just want to log the locations I have visited.

Maybe I just have to sit down and tinker with more online tools until I get it right, but I've been doing that for the last couple of hours without success. Someone in the UKC box tickers collective must have tried this before right? Any ideas?

Cheers

GTE

ChrisJD 09 Oct 2019
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Have you tried this StravaLabs tool to create a Strava 'Route'.

https://labs.strava.com/gpx-to-route/#12/-122.44503/37.73651

thepodge 09 Oct 2019

When I was doing something no too dissimilar I had to: export from Strava, Import to Plotaroute, Export from Plotaroute, Import to MMTracker. 

No idea what was going on but it stopped me getting error messages. I think Plotaroute filled in some gaps but then MMTracker was very temperamental and wouldn't play nice with different kinds of gpx routes or gpx track, I forget which. 

> I *think* that the problem is that all my rides created "routes" in MMR rather than "workouts" so they have no time data etc.

You probably want a 'track', which is a record of an actual trip. As such, it should have timestamp data. This probably corresponds to the 'workout' in MMR.

A 'route' is the path you intend to follow.

GPX files are merely plain text files using XML, following a particular schema. You can open them with a normal text editor. If you can see the the timestamps for each recorded point, you should be okay, but not all GPX files are compliant with the GPX schema...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...