Lakes/Yorkshire Dog-friendly bike trails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 13 Jul 2022

I am thinking of hiring a mountain bike sometime for a bit of a different day out. 

Does anyone know of any good trails which could be okay with a dog?

I wouldn’t be after anything technical/hard. Maybe a nice Bridleway where I’m unlikely to meet/annoy others (would be the first time trying it with the dog).

Dog has good recall, ignores sheep (not that I would have him off around them) and was good with a bike the one time I tried it in an open field. I’d like to try giving it a go on more of a “proper” ride for a bit of fun and see how it goes.

I’m based in the Yorkshire dales but have some trips to the lakes planned too so those would be the ideal locations…

mark catcher 13 Jul 2022
In reply to James Malloch: Whinlatter is ideal, bike hire available too. Gisburn Forest also a favourite if a little short & flat. Go easy on it’s paws till they toughen up a bit 😉

Flinticus 14 Jul 2022
In reply to mark catcher:

Not just paws. Joints are a concern if the dog is still growing or old. 

And be aware of heat exhaustion if a dog is running to keep up in these hot times. 

Godwin 14 Jul 2022
In reply to James Malloch:

You really need to consider if your dog is up to this. They lope along with runners, but Bikes can just move so much faster, and the dog will try and keep up.
We did it once and never did it again, as our dog was in a state at the end. 
She is 17 now, so no long term harm done.

OP James Malloch 14 Jul 2022
In reply to mark catcher:

Cheers Mark. We’re up near Keswick this week but looking at the cost of bike hire (£70/day) I might wait until we’re back in skipton and try gisburn - £30 for a non electric seems a lot more reasonable!

I won’t be doing a big trail - lots of stop/start getting him used to the bike, stopping to play etc.

I think I’m likely to be the biggest barrier to going far - he’s used to big days out whilst we climb whilst my legs hate biking (like I’m really bad on any incline 😂). Just done our 90 days in the EU with him and I don’t think he stopped playing at the crag most days. He’s also used to running with me but I’ll definitely be very careful.

compost 14 Jul 2022

What kind of distance? The canal towpath from Skipton through Gargrave could be ideal (and you could get the train back if needed)

ExiledScot 14 Jul 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> You really need to consider if your dog is up to this. They lope along with runners, but Bikes can just move so much faster, and the dog will try and keep up.

> We did it once and never did it again, as our dog was in a state at the end. 

Indeed, they are forced through discipline to keep up with owners, can't be regarded as fun from a dogs perspective. 

In reply to compost:

Probably 5-10 miles. So that could be okay - hadn’t thought of that section which is largely away from roads. The other option was to go to Ilkley over the Roman road and along the river from Addingham. But there are more road sections than I’d like on that route really.

Bridleway over Barden Moor would be perfect, but I think Dogs are banned except when on lead. I’ve done it out of shooting/nesting season before whilst running and it was great, but not ideal over the summer.

Also a nice loop from Settle (my only MTB route before) but likely to be lots of sheep at this time of year. He would ignore them but still not the responsible thing to do.

In reply to ExiledScot:

I’m a slow cyclist - no chance of me speeding off. It would be more of a way to explore a bit more than walking, but requiring a bit less time. Very leisurely pace.

Post edited at 10:16
 compost 14 Jul 2022

I think sheep and grouse will be tricky if you're getting out of the valley bottoms - otherwise I'd have suggested parking at Malham Tarn and either going towards Settle or Mastiles.

Could do Shipley Glen and Baildon Moor?

ExiledScot 14 Jul 2022

> I’m a slow cyclist - no chance of me speeding off. It would be more of a way to explore a bit more than walking, but requiring a bit less time. Very leisurely pace.

Go explore, but will the dog have chance to explore, sniff etc. ? Or just have to keep up?

Godwin 14 Jul 2022
In reply to compost:

> What kind of distance? The canal towpath from Skipton through Gargrave could be ideal (and you could get the train back if needed)

As a Cyclist, Dog owner, walker and Grandfather, I could not think of a worse suggestion for a Cyclist to take a dog off leash for a bike ride.

• There will be Swans, Geese, Ducks etc, which will need great care when passing.
  • There will be plenty of other walkers about who will not appreciate a dog off the lead, not in very close control..
  • There will be other Dog owners, will not appreciate a dog off the lead, not in very close control.
  • There will be other cyclists, and cyclists are very wary of dogs not under close control, wether on or off leash, and particularly when on canal tow paths.
  • IIRC the Tow path at Gagrave is closed and you have to go onto a quiet road.
  • Anyone taking a child for a walk, will not appreciate a dog off the lead, not in very close control.
  • If the dog picks up a stick, multiply all this by 10.

Personally I do not think Dogs and Bikes mix, but if you want to give it a go, a large beach such as Blackpool North Shore, maybe a good place, or the track up from Ings into Kentmere, or maybe Longsleddale. 

Post edited at 11:43
In reply to ExiledScot:

> Go explore, but will the dog have chance to explore, sniff etc. ? Or just have to keep up?

Yes. As dog owners go I’m about as responsible as they come. Most things I do are tailored for him, and biking wouldn’t be any different. 

When I say I’m slow I really mean that. It would be about having fun with him, stopping to put dummies in the heather, having breaks. He’s a very active and healthy dog and they type of riding I’m thinking of really wouldn’t be much more strenuous or less fun than our normal days out.

plyometrics 15 Jul 2022

This might work if you’re in Keswick. Tame, but seems to tick your boxes. 

https://www.keswick.org/what-to-do/walking-routes/keswick-to-threlkeld-rail...

FranC 17 Jul 2022

I hope you both have a great time. He sounds like a lucky dog to have such a caring owner.  Personally I don't see the issue going biking with a dog. Yeah, perhaps not if you were head down flat out sprinting but you've repeatedly said you're not that kind of biker. Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...