Komoot - Any good ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alfmeister 12 Dec 2019

In particular how is route planning with out a computer ? I would most likely be using an iPad 

How do users find it in general ?

Is it best used direct off the phone or with a bike computer ?

Many thanks for all replies

thepodge 12 Dec 2019
In reply to alfmeister:

I use it a lot but it's far from ideal.

Plotaroute is far better for planning. 

Bike hike (rip) was best for mapping. I now use hug maps or sys maps as they have os maps.

On phone navigation is good and I got the whole world maps for about £20 but their maps aren't detailed enough to distinguish different rights of way.

Crazylegs 12 Dec 2019
In reply to alfmeister:

I use Komoot a bit for audible turn by turn directions on my bike if I'm in a new city or on unfamiliar trails.  It's not perfect but has been useful.  It's certainly a step up from Google navigation for cycling use (after buying the maps which I got cheap on a special offer).  There might be other better options out there but I haven't used any yet - other suggestions welcome!

Post edited at 13:45
 Marek 12 Dec 2019
In reply to alfmeister:

It's good except for one thing. 4 or 5 hours into a ride and it ALWAYS crashes my phone (Moto G5). Takes a full reboot to get it back and then it's quite confused and won't restart my route from where it crashed. Pretty useless really when I most need it (long rides far from home). No help from support. No way of reporting bugs.

I've gone back to Osmand+Plotaroute/bikehike.

M

Marek 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Marek:

Oh, yes. I also got a bit cheesed off with Komoot sending me and my bike down footpaths (not even ridable ones when trying to define 'Gravel' or 'MTB' routes.

I've come to the conclusion that major cycle route generation is far better server-based and on a big screen (lots of tweeking, there's no routing solution that reliably generates good, legal, low/zero-traffic routes automatically) so only use phone based routing for short side trips ("Get me to the nearest cafe/pub/hospital"). The challenge is to get the phone-based navigation to play nicely (sensible turn-by-turn instructions) with the server generated GPX/TCX file. Osmand is pretty good with generic GPX tracks, but tends to issue to many warnings about bends (as opposed to junctions). Osmand with GPX routes (from Plotaroute, turn-by-turn) so that server defines the junctions to pass and Osmand route junction-to-junction looks like an excellent solution, but I haven't tested it in anger yet (long committing day out).

Another option to consider if you favour audio turn-by-turn instructions (rather than visual maps) is Bike Tracker. Really good TbT instructions from a TCX file (RideWithGPS or Plotaroute), but no junction map display. Means it's saves on battery power and the phone doesn't need to be exposed.

Sorry, that went a bit off-topic. But perhaps still relevant.

M

thepodge 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Marek:

On the power related note. Komoot can be set to only wake the screen up at junctions to help conserve battery. 

Marek 12 Dec 2019
In reply to thepodge:

> On the power related note. Komoot can be set to only wake the screen up at junctions to help conserve battery. 

As does Osmand. Pretty mandatory requirement in my view.

thepodge 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Marek:

I tried osandm but can't remember why I'd didn't get on with it. I was using mm tracker for ages but the app because unworkable. 

OP alfmeister 16 Dec 2019
In reply to alfmeister:

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I’ll give it a try but also check out the other options mentioned

Joez 17 Dec 2019
In reply to thepodge:

Bikehike still works for me

thepodge 17 Dec 2019
In reply to Joez:

Seems like it might be back up and running but I had about a month where maps weren't displaying properly and tiles were missing. The last step for me was when it just hung every time I tried to upload a GPX. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...