Could someone check out this route please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 16 Mar 2021

I have seen this route https://cyclethedales.org.uk/route/horton_over_the_stake/ and it looks nice and steady on the picture and description on the website, but when I have put the GPX into Garmin it looks a lot steeper.

deepsoup 16 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

Garmin wont let me import that GPX for some reason.  "An error occurred with your upload.  Please try again."

You can check out a profile for it on bikehike here if that's any help: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

(Just 'OK' the Google error message thing - Google broke it slightly when they decided to monetise their mapping a bit more a while back apparently.  'Load route' to import the GPX, 'show elevation' to see a profile, 'toggle map sizes' to switch between seeing the profile next to the OCM or the OS.)

According to bikehike it has just under 1000m of ascent, one fairly gentle climb and back down, then two steeper ascents/descents about twice the height.  (Viewranger agrees.)

Is that any help at all?

Gone for good 16 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

1178 metres of ascent and 3 longish ascents according to the profile. 

J1234 16 Mar 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Thanks for trying. I suppose I will have to just give it a go and see what happens

Harry Jarvis 17 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

There are three climbs. The first climbs 150m in 11k, the second climbs 340m in 11k, and the third climbs 290m in 5k - so the steepest is the last. 

The second is definitely a climb of two parts - the first climbs 130m in 5k, and the second climbs 230 in 5k, with a short gentle descent between the two. 

deepsoup 17 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

Well, how hard could it possibly be?
Looks like a really nice circuit, have fun.

Oh, hang on a sec..  I was being a muppet, I can upload that gpx to garmin as a course after all.  Here we go - looks like this..

lpretro1 17 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

I have done that route several times and I'm in my late 60s - there are one or two sharp/steep gradients - the short climb from High Birkwith, the very short pull out of Lingy Gill and the pouyll yup from Semer water - otherwise the gradients are steady. The road section to Beckermonds is up and down. The bridleway from Cray to Buckden is not very nice and awkward - I'd avoid it and just use the road. The final descent to Horton after the forest section is smashing

J1234 17 Mar 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes that what I did, and the gradient profile looks harder than on the cycle the dales link and I wondered if I was misunderstanding.

J1234 17 Mar 2021
In reply to lpretro1:

Thats really helpful thank you. I really and try and check out routes as its something my wife is enjoying doing with me and I don't want to embark on something daft and put her off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...