Adventure storytelling is at the heart of Kendal Mountain Festival and we are excited to join with our longstanding partners Rab to support upcoming British-based filmmakers.
Worth £10,000, the Mountain People Film Grant was conceived to shine a spotlight on the British wilderness, while achieving the following main goals:
- To enable filmmakers who are, as yet, unable to access funds to bring their creativity to life and provide a platform for their future endeavours
- To broaden the number of storytellers and filmmakers who use Britain's mountains as a creative and physical resource
- To support and grow diversity and inclusion in the outdoors
- To inspire both new and seasoned mountain adventurers to explore the UK's winter wilderness
We are looking for brave, creative responses. Stories that will have a lasting impression and inspire individuals and communities to spend time in the British mountains. We want to discover new angles on adventure.
"A mountain is a place that gives perspective. We believe a mountain can be a metaphor as much as a physical space. It could be a literal high summit, or a personal peak. Wherever or whatever your mountain is, it provides inspiration, a challenge. An element of exploration; the unknown. An opportunity to forge strong bonds, embrace heritage or build new communities. It may be a place of science, activism or spiritualism, movement or contemplation. It will be a place where stories are born. The Mountain People are those who venture into these spaces. And we believe anyone can."
- Claire Carter, Artistic Director, Kendal Mountain Festival
Alongside the £10,000, Kendal and Rab will support the winning filmmaker with ongoing consultation. Aspiring filmmakers can make their submissions for the grant from 17th September, closing on the 17th October. You can apply here. The winning applicant will be chosen by Rab, the Kendal Mountain Festival team, and two film independent industry consultants, and announced at the Festival, which takes place 18 - 21 November featuring a jam-packed lineup of talks from world renowned speakers, film premieres, pro athletes, grassroots activists and lively debates! Tickets for the Festival will be on sale from 24th September.