This is the first scramble you reach on Heather Terrace. It is shorter than others but just as rewarding. It ends short of the summit but can easily be linked into The North Ridge of Tryfan or Notch Arete. Follow Heather Terrace to below Bastow Gully.
1) Go up Bastow Gully until you can gain and follow the break that leads up and right past an awkward chockstone. Beyond this you reach the rib.
2) Pass the rib and continue on right to gain the higher of two breaks which leads to a heathery ledge on the crest of the ridge. A small step leads past some blocks on another ledge.
3) Above this, more heather bashing up the side of Bastow Gully leads up to a steepening below the upper ridge.
4) The left-hand arete is hard, the central heathery groove is too easy but the right-hand rib proves just right. Gain this via a diagonal break to the edge of the rib and ascend the rib, mainly on its left side, to where it rounds off.
5) Head left across more heather to regain the main left-hand rib and climb this overlooking Bastow Gully. If the difficulties prove too much, an easier line can be found to the right.
6) At the top you join The North Ridge of Tryfan which can be used for a continuation or descent. © Rockfax
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents