UKC

Putting together a basic top rope kit

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Kevin Winter 05 May 2024

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any answers.

I'm looking to start taking my little one out on real rock, not often but a couple of times a year when we're on holiday ( we often spend time in mid Wales, the lakes and Swanage). He's six, and is a confident indoor climber and boulderer.

He's been climbing with me regularly for the last eighteen months indoors, and I have totally confidence in my belaying ability and also my ability to safely anchor ropes etc (I'm a forest school leader) but haven't done any outdoor climbing for the last twenty five years.

So, any suggestions of a basic set of kit (especially length/type of rope and the amount of slings/bins worth including) would be much appreciated. We both have decent harnesses and I currently use a DMM Bug for belaying him indoors.

bpmclimb 05 May 2024
In reply to Kevin Winter:

Obviously, length of rigging rope and climbing rope needed will depend on crag/routes, but fairly standard would be 15m of semi-static for rigging (10.5mm is a common thickness), and a 50m dynamic climbing rope (a budget 10mm is fine). You'll also want 2 or 3 slings (240cm is a useful length), 3 or 4 locking crabs, and a couple of rope protectors (you can make these, as a low-budget option).

That's if you have trees/boulders/spikes/threads as anchors; in addition, you'll also need some trad protection pieces at the top of many crags.

OP Kevin Winter 06 May 2024
In reply to bpmclimb:

Thanks, that's a very useful outline. Have made a shopping list and started to put every together 

BigLob 07 May 2024
In reply to Kevin Winter:

Hi Kevin

If your looking for gear such as slings and carabiners check out climbwild.shop

Tend to have a range of cost effective gear on offer if youre just starting out.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...