UKC

Edinburgh walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 20 Dec 2023

I've just moved here and, having had virtually a two year hiatus from regular climbing, am keen to get back on it. Which of the walls would people recommend, particularly for bouldering? Apart from a single trip to Alien Rock in 2009, I've never climbed indoors here.

Alien Bloc is pretty convenient for me (I'm in Portobello) - is there anywhere else I should try out too?

Fiona Reid 20 Dec 2023
In reply to tehmarks:

There's a new bouldering wall opening near Portobello soon, somewhere on the East Telferton Industrial Estate, they were advertising for staff on UKC not so long ago.

Otherwise Alien Bloc is your closest bouldering. More bouldering at Eden Rock out in Loanhead.

For roped stuff, Alien Rock or EICA Ratho.

There's also a small wall at the University of Edinburgh sports centre but likely only accessible if you are staff/student or ex student there. 

Enjoy Edinburgh

Fraser 20 Dec 2023
In reply to tehmarks:

'There can be only one!'

OP tehmarks 20 Dec 2023
In reply to Fiona Reid:

> There's a new bouldering wall opening near Portobello soon, somewhere on the East Telferton Industrial Estate, they were advertising for staff on UKC not so long ago.

Oh wonderful.

> Otherwise Alien Bloc is your closest bouldering. More bouldering at Eden Rock out in Loanhead.

I'm trying my hardest to walk everywhere I need to get to within the city/for everyday things, so Loanhead may be out.

> For roped stuff, Alien Rock or EICA Ratho.

Though a caveat to the above: I do still need to visit EICA at least once.

> Enjoy Edinburgh

Thank you. It's such a wonderful place. I've spent the past 13 years living in or around London, on land and on water, and I've never felt happy in the south of England. I was planning to move to Sheffield or Leeds, but I did a job here last May and realised it's the first city in the UK I've felt inspired by and felt I could happily live long-term. And it's three hours to the Highlands versus three hours to the Peak from London; easy choice really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...