UKC

NEWS: Legendary German Climber Kurt Albert Killed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 Sep 2010
Kurt Albert, 3 kbKurt Albert was a legendary German climber who shaped the development of rock climbing.

Albert fell 18 metres from a Via Ferrata in the Hirschbach Valley in the Frankenjura on Sunday. The 56 year old sustained severe head injuries.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=58046

Mick Ward 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Terrible news. In the photograph, he looks so kind and steadfast.
Rest in peace.

Mick
 Alex Buisse 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

How recent is that information? His death was mistakenly announced yesterday but then some news outlets (including Alpinist newswire) said he had "only" been severely injured.

I just really, really hope UKC got it wrong :
 Olivia Stocker 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
To sadly answer the question: the German climbing scene news report his death alongside with quoting the existing preliminary police report (the cause of his death is under investigation- as always in Germany). So I am certain that this time the sad news is "true".
http://kletterszene.com/news/kurt-albert-ist-an-seinen-verletzungen-gestorb...
My thoughts are with his family and friends and I hope they will get the support needed
 Alex Buisse 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Olivia Stocker:

Thanks for the clarification. This is terrible news.
 ChrisJD 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Alex Buisse:

Very sad news.

The google translation of the link seems to suggest he was in a large group:

"As has been written yesterday, had Kurt Albert on 9/26/2010 around 12:00 clock a climbing accident on Mountain Climbing "riser height luck" in Hirschbach (Hersbrucker Alb). Kurt was time for disaster as one of three leaders with a 17-strong group of participants at the height luck climbing the road. The celebration of the climbing route was organized by a company from southern Germany "
 creag 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:
A true legend.. RIP
 Lurking Dave 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Sad news. Very sad. The perspective from Mrs LD is that the via ferrata that the group was on is mostly not more than 7m above the forest floor, the final section being a little harder and higher. A tragic end to a climbing legends.

"he was one of the good guys, you could see him in the pub having a beer and cheesecake after a days climbing" (Mrs LD)

What a great way to be remembered.

LD
 mozzer 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Lurking Dave:

That's terrible news, my condolences.
 McBirdy 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news indeed. Have just finished reading Revelations, so Kurt's acheivements are fresh in my mind. Condolences to family and friends.

Ben
 Team BMC 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Tribute from Lindsay Griffin on the BMC website http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=3936
 Sean Kelly 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Team BMC:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Tribute from Lindsay Griffin on the BMC website http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=3936

This says it all really. Both details of the accident and about his major achievements in climbing. He was one of the guys who always seemed to crop up in the books on Fawcett, Moffat et al. I remember him when he had a full head of hair! A sad loss.
 Mick Ward 29 Sep 2010
In reply to Team BMC:

Thanks to Lindsay for such a characteristically good tribute. It's just a shame that it needed to be written.

Mick
 mark s 29 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: very sad news
i find it a bit strange how little interest this seems to be having on here.this man was one of climbings most important names.
the word legend gets thrown around alot,but kurt really was.
 TobyA 29 Sep 2010
In reply to mark s: I suspect Mark, that until people have been climbing for sometime they are unlikely to have been aware of Kurt's amazing contributions to the sport - from sport climbing to self supported kayak trips to climb remote bigwalls in Greenland. Climbing is still a bit parochial, particularly across language barriers - I think it is only because so many Germans speak great English that I'm aware of some of the best and most adventurous German climbers. I know for one that I'm woefully ignorant on the current and past stars of, for example, Italian and Spanish climbing, because I don't read either of those languages and somewhat less seems to filter in English language magazines.
 Jamie B 30 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Tragic news. Kurt has an amazing memorial in the aptly-named Eternal Flame, a route that no lesser authority than the Huber brothers described as the "world's best". It certainly looks pretty gobsmacking here:http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2143
 mgeek 30 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News: Gutted! Kurt Albert was one of my climbing heros as a bairn, after watching him in real thing with ben and Jerry! Still never perfected the footles mantle either! Sure he made first onsight ascent of Brandler Hasse too - LEGEND!
 snae 30 Sep 2010
In reply to UKC News:

I was in Hirschbach just two weeks ago and did this Via Ferrata, with the missus seeing it is a 'safe' option... Both tragic and shocking news.
kingie52 30 Sep 2010
Traggic news!! I have read JM's Revelations twice. Kurt came across as such a fun guy, a legend! My thoughts go out to his friends and family.

Ben Thorne 01 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Having watched The Real Thing about 200 times in the mid-90's and several times recently on DVD, the lasting memory I'll have of Kurt Albert is of him singing The Boxer in a German accent in the infamous gite in Larchant and also the "Good stew Kirsty!" soundbites.

It's nice to remember a climber for their personality as well as their achievements.

Craig Smith 01 Oct 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Very sad news. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...