UKC

NEWS/VIDEO: Field and Trek, Ambleside Ablaze

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2008
As I write the Field and Trek shop in Ambleside, Cumbria is on fire. Situated in the Market Cross plaza adjacent to Gayner's, Fat Face, Tresspass, Tog 24, Lakeland and the Piano Bar. As far as I know no one has been hurt.

VIDEO NOW UPLOADED

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=04&year=2008#n43865
OP Michael Ryan 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

A ladder has now arrived so that they can fight the fire from above. The smoke seems to be dying down.
 DNS 25 Apr 2008

They managed to get those '20% off' signs in the window up bloody quickly didn't they?
 James Moyle 25 Apr 2008
In reply to DNS: Sick (but funny!)
 dirtbag1 25 Apr 2008
Fantastic! news as it happens, it's like BBC 24.
not fantastic F&T burning, just the instant news thing.
The cameraman was useless though, where were the interviews, Firemen carrying scorched fleeces to safety? Where was the sexy but serious presenter (maybe Barnsey?)?
Good effort guys.
 TRJ 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Given that Field & Trek appears to be going to the wall anyway, would it be cynical to suggest an insurance scam?
 Little Brew 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: whats the bloe on the scaf tower doing?!?

Jess.x
 lee birtwistle 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Does this mean I can now get the Berghaus coat I wanted in charcoal black?
I worked in this store the winter before last, had good craic with other employees there - hope all are OK.

On a different note F&T is a shitty, shitty company to work for - support your local independants at all costs people; we'd be shafted without them.
 graeme jackson 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: They could burn down another half dozen outdoor shops in ambleside and still have 5 too many.
Robin Ashcroft 25 Apr 2008
This is the second shop fire (although the other was a book shop) in as many months in Ambleside. A manifestation of the credit crunch?
 BelleVedere 25 Apr 2008
 ayuplass 25 Apr 2008
cor, will there be any bargains in the damaged good sale?
In reply to es:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> lovely weather

That won't stop me from me doing Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday, right now.

cia

Glyno 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Robin Ashcroft:
> This is the second shop fire (although the other was a book shop) in as many months in Ambleside. A manifestation of the credit crunch?

oooh, what book shop was it?

Martin Davies 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Will shops be open as usual tomorrow then? (Except for F+T obviously!) How much will be closed off? I'm planning on stopping off there early doors tomorrow...
Martin
 Martin Davies 25 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7367664.stm
"routes into the town centre have been closed", any ideas whether they will be open tomorrow?
sos2211 25 Apr 2008
In reply to davies00: roads are supposed to be reopened some time after 8pm tonight
 Henry Iddon 25 Apr 2008
In reply to ayuplass:
> cor, will there be any bargains in the damaged good sale?

Be nowt left, Mick and the UKC posse will have been looting as soon as they finished writting the report Only kidding.

616agv 26 Apr 2008
Bit of an unfortunate page on their website

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/shop-Light%20My%20Fire.htm
Anonymous 26 Apr 2008
>
> a lightbulb exploded which ignited the stock: jackets, sleeping bags etc
>

hmmm
 Paul Atkinson 26 Apr 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: well it's a comfort to know it was a lightbulb at fault and not someone having a sneaky smoke out of the skylight
 sutty 26 Apr 2008
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

I like the 20% off signs, including the roof. I was surprised the lads on the turntables did not have breathing gear on knowing what the clothing is made from. Must be quite toxic now.
 Glyno 26 Apr 2008
In reply to Glyno:
> (In reply to Robin Ashcroft)
> [...]
>
> oooh, what book shop was it?

not Fred Holdsworths I hope?

Carr 27 Apr 2008
In reply to Glyno: No it was the one opposite the White Lion, Henry Roberts or whatever it's called. It's all sorted and reopen again now though anyway.
 John Mcshea 27 Apr 2008
Just to let you know that I burnt my dinner whilst being distracted watching this.
Jb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...