UKC

NEW REVIEW: Backcountry Skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 Apr 2008
Backcountry Skiing is for intermediate-to-advanced backcountry skiers. Includes safety, navigation, nutrition and fitness information in addition to techniques, providing advice on how to make well-informed decisions. Jim Raitt takes a quick look through it.

Read the review here - http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=911
 Doug 14 Apr 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: Any comments on how it compares to other 'how to ' books on ski mountaineering such as Pete Cliff's 'Ski Mountaineering' or Eric Delaperrière's 'Ski de Randonée - des premières traces aux grands raids' ?

Jim ?
 Rydell 02 May 2008
In reply to UKC Articles:

Having read this book from cover to cover, I think it is one of the best books to come out on the topic of ski mountaineering in years.

Yes some of the lingo is geared towards an American readership but there are genuinely useful chapters on technique, route finding, belay set-up and the like.

I would agree with the reviewer that it lacks a comprehensive kit list, but for those with a mountaineering background this book will fill in many of the blanks in your ski-mountaineering knowledge.

Definitely worth buying.
 Paul Atkinson 02 May 2008
In reply to UKC Articles: I have read this relatively recently along with Freeskiing www.freeskiing.nu (bought one and got other as present) and would recommend both

BCS is perhaps somewhat more of a "manual" like Fyffe (or Blackshaw depending on your vintage) on climbing and quite American in character, whilst FS has lots of pretty (unnecessary? inspirational?) pics and perhaps more of a "coffee table" feel to it and has been written by someone whose first language is not English.

Overall both cover much the same ground and are reasonably comprehensive. FS is more adventurous skier / less climber oriented, full of anecdote, and very keen to emphasise the uncertainty and lack of absolute rules in an alpine environment and analyse decision making and the roles of experience / judgement. All of this is present to some extent in BCS as well but in (IMHO) a more formalised psychobabbly sort of way. In technical instruction the diagrams are generally better in FS but explanatory text better in BCS. FS is IMHO better on weather and avalanche assessment but BCS better on beacon search and rescue and on up and downhill skiing technique

In all both are excellent and maybe complementary - if I was to read one right through again it would probably be FS (which I guess reflects my finding it more entertaining) but if I wanted to look up one particular technique etc I would use BCS. Put on the spot as to which one to go for by spmeone getting in to ski mountaineering I'd recommend BCS. More experienced people who will probably be familiar with most of the contents of both might prefer FS

cheers P

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...