UKC

NEWS: First Mobile Call From Everest Summit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 22 May 2007
A few weeks ago UKClimbing.com was in touch with Kevin Thaw at Everest Base Camp by mobile phone, made possible by China Telecom, which has set up a mobile phone tower at base camp on the north side of the mountain.

This morning, British climber Rod Baber.........

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 TobyA 23 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Considering some f****r driving a car whilst talking on his mobile nearly knocked me off my bike two days ago, this hardly seems a positive story. How long before some sherpa gets knocked off the summit ridge because some punter going the other way was too busy chatting on their mobile?

More seriously, who cares? All this "news" seems to be is an advert for Motorola? The text doesn't even make much sense:
"This is the call I made using my MOTO Z8 from 29,035 feet / 8848 meters on the highest peak of Everest..."
You mean there is a less high peak of Everest?

Well done to the chap for getting to the top, but I don't really care that he took his phone with him. That ain't climbing news.

hutchm 23 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

Apparently he had to head a couple of hundred feet down the South face before he got a signal, though.
 Morgan Woods 23 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Can you hear me now...how about now....how about...aaaahhhhhhh!
 jkarran 23 May 2007

I'm kind of impressed the phone handset works in that environment but its not news really.

jk
Ian Hill 23 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

He had to take his oxygen mask off to make the call! What an achievement!

(irony alert)
Yorkspud 23 May 2007

I lump this story in with the sit-start to Careless Torque one....sublime/ridiculous etc
 Wibble Wibble 23 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

I'm afraid I've got Dom Jolly running through my head: "yea, yea, I'm on Everest. Yea, piece of piss really.."

Of course this is an absolute non-story in climbing terms. Must be a quiet day for Mick.
 TobyA 23 May 2007
In reply to Wibble Wibble:

> I'm afraid I've got Dom Jolly running through my head: "yea, yea, I'm on Everest. Yea, piece of piss really.."

It unavoidable isn't it?

You could wrap in the other great sketch of the Dutch ski instructor - "shi shool! shi shool!" as well.
OP Michael Ryan 23 May 2007
In reply to Wibble Wibble:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
>Must be a quiet day for Mick.

Think again. Five news reports on May 22.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Plus on the same day, advertising work, plus article editorial, plus review stuff, plus guidebook stuff.

Did the last two just before midnight or so. The Everest story could be extended. As Whillans would probably say, "It's a bloody circus up there."

It is I concede, a Daily Mail raise the blood pressure story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From yahoo news:

"The call is one of several high altitude stunts being carried out in the current Everest climbing season.

Last week a Briton pulled off the season's first big stunt by making the first flight over the summit using a powered paraglider.

A Nepali mountaineer has also broken his own world record by scaling the peak for a breathtaking seventeenth time.

Other daredevils on the mountain include Wim "Iceman" Hof, a Dutchman attempting to scale the peak wearing just shorts, boots, gloves and a cap.

This year, around 550 people are attempting Everest from both Nepal and via the northern flank in China."

Mick
....in a layby near Skipton after doing UKC advertising visits..

and of course this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070523/ap_on_re_as/young_climber
 hutchm 23 May 2007
> >
> Mick
> ....in a layby near Skipton after doing UKC advertising visits..

Could be a layby near Croydon. Don't knock it.
 Rubbishy 23 May 2007

I misread that, I thought you were in a ladyboy in Skipton.
 Carolyn 23 May 2007

Must be getting hard to hear yourself think up there now
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=501028
Not Remotely Foz 23 May 2007
In reply to TobyA:

> "This is the call I made using my MOTO Z8 from 29,035 feet / 8848 meters on the highest peak of Everest..."
> You mean there is a less high peak of Everest?

There would actually have to be two other peaks? High. Higher. Highest.

Bit like the letter to Viz that pointed out that, when it came to the final round of two contestants, it should be known as 'The Weaker Link'

> Well done to the chap for getting to the top, but I don't really care that he took his phone with him.

I'd be more impressed if he'd left it at home. Just makes me think of the contrast to Messner up there, truly, truly alone, in 1980.

punter 23 May 2007

Beats "I'm on the bus!" I suppose.
Removed User 23 May 2007

I used to be dead against mobile phones in wilderness areas- like on public transport only far worse.

My attitude changed in 2003 when I hurt my ankle badly on Lochnagar, called 999 & was in a Sea King on the way to Aberdeen Infirmary less than 2 hours later.

So I see the news as progress, lets hope it is not mis-used.
 Wonrek 23 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I started a thread about this on Monday.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=243497&v=1#3580189

Mt partner works for Motorola (as did I) and I've got the pictures he took on the phone na ne na ne na na

Cx

grizz 23 May 2007

This isn't true Dom Jolly beat him too it.
In reply to grizz:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> This isn't true Dom Jolly beat him too it.

About a third of the visitors to UKC go the forums daily, a third check the news page of which some check the forums, the other third check in once a week via the newsletter which goes out to 28,000 every Friday.

Point is, we make a decision based on our criteria what gets the cut in the news, and there is a lot. We filter it.

Some news is announced by many down the forums, but we give it far more prominance on the news page which is accessed via several routes.

Don't get too hung up about who is the first (we don't). This is the internet, very dynamic, compared to print.

In reply to Clears:

> Mt partner works for Motorola (as did I) and I've got the pictures he took on the phone na ne na ne na na

Post up!

Wonrek 24 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: possibly some copyright issues had to remove them. Will repost if it's ok.

Cx
prana 24 May 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: i wonder how long til the first gear theft is caught on webcam?
 GarethSL 24 May 2007
In reply to prana: oooo that would be good to see, do you think whoever films it will 'quiz' the thief?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...