UKC

NEWS: North Wales Rock/Sheffield Adventure Film Forum Update

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 30 Jan 2007
Latest news of the imminent North Wales Rock and the forthcoming Sheffield Adventure Film Forum Update in today's news at UKClimbing.com.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Jon Read 30 Jan 2007
 Jon Read 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Read:
Damn. It's already been printed -- I'm too late!
Looking forward to the guide though, might even visit N Wales again...
 Niall Grimes 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Read:

The cover folds out to deliver your right-hand bit, Jon. But I suppose you'll have to but it for that
 Jon Read 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Niall Grimes:
Phew! That is a relief. I'll be able to calm down and do some work now ...
Simon Panton 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Jon Read: If we'd had any balls we would have stuck to the original plain cover design:

http://www.groundupclimbing.com/newsarchive.asp

But then somebody (Dave Parry IIRC) said it looked like a telephone directory, and that was the end of that. Yesterday I got an email from one of the photographers used in the book, saying how much he rated the telephone book design. I guess you can't win with these things.

Right up to the end Streaky was still gunning for cover version 2, i.e. the full wrap around design which somehow managed to make Clogwyn y Tarw look like Yosemite:

http://www.groundupclimbing.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=181

Anyway, Jethro's Superdirect shot does it for me and the judge's decision was final (I'm the judge).
 Joss 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Simon Panton:

The Dinas Mot picture is definately the best, and I think it captures the essence of Snowdonia. I never thought much of the Zig zag climb picture.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jan 2007

Glad to see you took my advice on the choice of cover, can't wait to get my hands on a (review) copy.

Chris

Joke btw!
 MattH 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Tsssk,
Forget the guidebook cover, what do people think of the new ShAFF film selection wizard as invented by Nick Smith?

Seriously, feedback would be much appreciated.

MattH

p.s. am also looking forward to getting hold of a review copy of the guide. Looks ace.
 Chris the Tall 30 Jan 2007
That picture inspired me to go and do the route
Then again it also lead me to the mistaken assumption that it would catch some sunshine - not in October it doesn't !
Simon Panton 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs: Chris I try to listen to everybody, even representatives of competing companies. I guess last time we clashed over this subject matter I was more than a little stressed out about various shenanigans relating to the book. I am significantly more relaxed these days, and would actually be interested to hear what you Rockfax gents think of North Wales Rock.

So maybe you, or Alan, should review it for UKC? It would be an interesting exercise, would it not? The inside view from two experienced authors/publishers - it's likely to throw up some interesting points for discussion.
Simon Panton 30 Jan 2007
In reply to Chris the Tall: Yes, outwith the summer months it does get a bit chilly on the south side of the Pass. I bet Dinas Cromlech was bathed in sunshine though!
Simon Panton 30 Jan 2007
In reply to MattH: Sorry Matt for dominating this thread, SHAFF sounds like a great event. Good effort for pulling it all together.

PS send me an address, and I'll get a copy of the guide dropped off as soon as it lands.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jan 2007

We (myself, Sherri, Alan and Mick - RF/UKC Costa Blanca trip) discussed this very possibility over dinner (or tea) this evening. Alan was a worried that any review would be seen as partisan - which doubtless it will. I assured him I mature enough be objective. Looking forward to seeing it either way.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...