UKC

Tour Du Mont Blanc Highlights 2023

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bellboy 22 Oct 2022

Hi.

I'm planning to take a solo, sell guided 'highlights' package of the Tour Du Mont Blanc in July 2023 (possibly with macadventure)  It would be a 'comfort' package staying in inns/hotels on most days rather than mountain huts.  It will cover 7 days walking and I'm aware of the ascent and descents each day. I'm 51, it is is my first hiking trip and although I'm not a regular walker/hiker I am fit and have climbed a couple of Scottish munros. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week and spin classes so feel I have a good level of overall fitness.  My question is are the daily hikes similar to some of the Scottish munros in terms of paths, steep climbs etc.  I know some of the ascents are higher but are they gentler approaches, more severe or similar?  Just trying to gauge if 7 days of walking the TMB highlights is similar to climbing 7 munros on consecutive days or not so I have a more realistic expectations.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Bellboy:

Depends on which Munros you have climbed...

The TMB is a walk. There is no need for any scrambling, and no really steep climbs. Prolonged, but not steep.

Some legs can be quite long.

I went with Mac's, with a group of friends, similar age to you, some of whom weren't seasoned hill walkers. They found the long days tiring, but they managed it, and enjoyed it. Our fitness certainly improved during the trip, which I found surprisingly quick.

Stop in the Bouton d'Or in Courmeyeur; it's likely Mac's will select that for you.

Post edited at 11:33
 robert-hutton 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

You might find that the " TMB highlights" miss out most of the big climbs as it only does just over half of the route, so less then 10 miles per day.

OP Bellboy 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

Thanks for replies.  The munros I've done in Scotland are Beinn Eighe and Beinn Wyvis.  My concern was doing this type of climb for 7 days on the trot would not be sustainable.  There are a couple of days on the Mac package which are just under 10 miles but most are 10-12 miles per day.  This is the package https://www.macsadventure.com/holiday-600/highlights-of-the-tour-du-mont-bl... 

So it sounds like my fitness levels would not prevent me from doing the TMB, albeit shortened version' relatively comfortably?

freeheel47 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

You sound much fitter than me.  We did it as a family in two one week holidays in 2017 and 2018. At that point our youngest was 8 and I was your age. We carried all our stuff and stayed in refuges and a B&B.  You are easily fit enough.

robert-hutton 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

Depends if you would be happy sharing the same company each night for seven days, one of the joys of these walks is meeting different people.

I dont think you need to be over fit to do the TMB, decide how fit and do a schedule to accommodate.

A average Scottish Munro is a tougher proposition then anything on the TMB, consecutive days mostly aren't an issue unless injuries or blisters are the factor, in fact day one is always the toughest.

rif 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

Did it in my mid 60s with no problem, but that was from a base of weekly hillwalks or long bike rides. The itinerary you linked to shows that several days involve more vertical than either of the Munros you've done, but as others have said, the ascents are mostly long and gradual and the paths are mostly very good.

The main differences from UK hillwalking are that (1) depending on month and weather, it can be much hotter than you're used to; (2) you'll probably be carrying a heavier pack; and (3) on most of the stages there's the opportunity to get a mid-walk drink/snack in a wayside bar or refuge. 

It's a great walk with stupendous views if you're lucky with the weather.

OP Bellboy 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

OK good to know.  I asked in my local outdoor retailer and the girl there told me it would be like doing Beinn Wyvis ever day (not suer she had actually done the TMB) which was slightly worrying but seems at odds to the comments here.

PaulHarris 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

I did the whole of TMB this July, camped ever night and was solo. I'm 71. You have nearly a year to improve your walking fitness. Altitude will probably be the main issue but after a couple of days you'll get used to it. It's a great walk with no real route finding problems as long as the weather's good. It was exceptionally hot when I did it, keep yourself hydrated. Good luck. 

In reply to Bellboy:

> This is the package

That's what we did. The longest day is day 2: Contamines to les Mottets via Col des Fours. 22km, 10hrs 1722m ascent. The Les Chappieux option would be a bit shorter.

If you're in the gym and doing spin classes, your CV fitness should be fine. But you may find yourself using unfamiliar muscles when walking, especially some of the downhill legs (into Contamines, and down to les Mottets). I actually chose to jog down to les Mottets, as it was easier on the legs to let them pump with lots of very small steps, rather than fight against gravity.

The paths are generally in good condition underfoot. I did it in approach shoes (La Sportiva TX4, bought for the walk, and walked in a couple of days; they fit me perfectly, and I didn't get a single blister. I've just bought a third pair...).

OP Bellboy 23 Oct 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

So you did that exact same package?  Was it with Macs?  Would you recommend?

I think in terms of fitness, I definitely could do it, but I suppose the question is could I do it with enough energy/fitness/stamina to enjoy it.  I obviously want to take everything in and look forward to each day and not dread it.  It will be difficult to get out and do back to back walks between now and then to test this, especially at this time of year.

OP Bellboy 23 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

Also would you recommend any particular exercise/training (other than actual descents) for building up those muscles used for downhill?

Thanks

In reply to Bellboy:

> So you did that exact same package?  Was it with Macs?  Would you recommend?

Yes, exactly that. Yes, with Macs. And yes, given that all that bookings were made, and all transfers worked well, yes, I'd recommend. I have no experience with any alternatives for comparison.

Would you enjoy day after day? Only you can say. I've been walking, and taking walking holidays, for years, so the idea of getting up and walking each day was nothing new. What was a bit different was walking whatever the weather; one day it rained heavily pretty much non-stop, and in spite of decent gear, we got soaked. Fortunately, it coincided with our stay at the wonderful Bouton d'Or, and their staff and drying facilities were first rate. 

But you don't have to walk every day; there are transport links between the centres, of course.

OP Bellboy 23 Oct 2022
In reply to captain paranoia:

Thanks.  Sorry for all my questions.  What time of year did you go and did you find it busy?  I'm actually OK with it being busy - would like the opportunity to meet other people.

magma 23 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

could be too busy in july/aug as this is when the french take their holidays. sept has been my choice for alpine treks- weather often more settled also- and cooler (see above re July heat)..

paths better and generally less steep than scottish munros (lots of zigzags)

Post edited at 11:44
In reply to Bellboy:

2nd week August. Still a bit of snow left in the Col des Fours. Had some snow fall going up and over from the Mottets refuge, and then coming back into Cham.

The route itself isn't crowded, but accommodation was busy. Since you're all doing the same tour, you end up meeting the same people going in your direction.

Rob Exile Ward 31 Oct 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

FWIW I took my family round the full TMB in 2016 - so I was 60, and because of my job, hopelessly unfit. The stages are calibrated pretty neatly so you're never exhausted at the end of each day and have time to recover before the next - we took a rest day at Courmayeur and even then went for a walk! Not sure why you wouldn't want to stay in huts though, they are at all the most convenient places and the food is nearly always excellent.

Brass Nipples 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

As has been stated you will be gym fit but not hill walk fit.  You want to get walks in on uneven terrain to work all those smaller muscles, tendons and ligaments that the gym simply won’t hit.  It’s those, that if not sufficiently worked ahead of your holiday, will cause all the little niggles and pains that will make the walking less pleasurable.  A walking pole or two can help take pressure off the knees etc on long alpine descents.

65 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Bellboy:

> I asked in my local outdoor retailer and the girl there told me it would be like doing Beinn Wyvis ever day 

Nothing like Ben Wyvis, there is no heather bashing nor boggy forestry. It's on good paths the whole way round. Probably the days are significantly bigger than Ben Wyvis but much easier. More like very long days in the Lakes on good paths, assuming you avoid the Fenetre d'Arpette which I think most people do. As others have said, you have a while to get fit. If you are doing it in 7 days there will be some long days but the terrain facilitates this.

I think I was 51 when we did it, we took 9 or ten days walking with a two night break in Courmayer, I wouldn't have said it was physically trivial but it wasn't a big deal either. Get some Lakes/Scottish walking in before you go and you'll enjoy it better.

It's well worth doing despite the crowds and the scenery is magnificent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...