UKC

Hi I really want someone to help teach me about sport climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoeyB 11 Jul 2023

Hi, I'm 15 amd want to get into sport climbing. I've been bouldering for a year now. I don't have any experience of rope.

I would like to learn about belaying, clipping in to protection and equalising anchors.

I live in torquay, Devon so angsty cove is closest for me.

JLS 11 Jul 2023
In reply to JoeyB:

Ideally you would find an experienced team that would let you tag along. You might increase your chances of doing that if you knew the basics from instruction at a local indoor wall.

Here seems to be close to you... https://reach-outdoors.com/about/indoor-climbing-parkfield-1

Just for information, equalising anchors is more a trad climbing thing. Sport climbing will almost certainly have reliable protection that you just need to clip into.

Sean Kelly 11 Jul 2023
In reply to JoeyB:

Join one of the youth clubs in the area, at either Dartrock (Buckfast), the Quay (Exeter). Or sound out the Boulder Bunker in Torquay. They can all show you the ropes, so to speak. I realise not all are on your doorstop. Oh, and by the way  it is Anstey's Cove, and comes with a steep learning curve.

scope 11 Jul 2023
In reply to JoeyB:

The Parkfield wall shut years ago, and Dartrock is now Dyno Climbing.

Most walls will run some kind of instructional sessions, give them a ring.

OP JoeyB 11 Jul 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I reaiser that it would be better do that but they cost a lot, more than I'm able to pay sadly.

In reply to JoeyB:

Too true. Hopefully you'll find someone to help you with a day's learning. Personally, I would expect a parent to come along too (bearing homemade cake & other tasty picnic offerings!!) 

Luke90 11 Jul 2023
In reply to JoeyB:

> angsty cove is closest for me

Seems like an appropriate venue for a teenager!

Hiya. Good for you trying to get out and do it safely.

I don't know if this is still running, but something like this sounds like what you need: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/outdoor-sport-climbing-course-for-young-people

As others have said, you could also see if there are any climbing walls near you that are running courses. Even if not, they should be able to direct you to some local advice. 

Good luck  

McHeath 11 Jul 2023
In reply to JoeyB:

Elephant in the room: you as a 15 year old being prepared to meet up with some random guy from the Internet to (possibly) put your life into his hands.

2 solutions: 1. Join a club which has a youth section, or 2. take buxtoncoffeelover´s advice and involve your parents for the first meet-up.

Post edited at 23:56
In reply to JoeyB:

If you can talk your folks into a trip to the Peak District I will take you out for a day's climbing. Cake will be required

toriabobs31 12 Jul 2023
In reply to JoeyB:

I've sent a message across via UKC. We (West Country Adventures) are running several sport climbing workshops and courses. We have a youth specific course coming up in July. If you want to get in touch direct and we can send some more information and discuss the course content or other options. 

Thanks 

Tori

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...