UKC

Couch to 4000m (with a caveat)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 22 Oct 2022

In less than a year... Is this a go-er?

46 years old and on betablockers but that's for a historical thing, I'm just not sure how they'd interfere with the body regulating itself at moderate altitude.

I'm not couchbound either so not starting from absolute zero. Recently did a 7km hike with a little ascent and it was quite hot, and I coped with that perfectly well. It's given me the confidence to think a little bigger; that, plus some inspiring photo's I've seen on here have fired up the aspirations!

I'd donate anything I raise to The British Heart Foundation; I was just wondering if anyone has experience of mountaineering on these meds or have come off them (under a doctor's supervision, obviously). Thanks for reading.

Forest Dump 22 Oct 2022
In reply to broken spectre:

Following! I'm on propranolol and notice the lack of a 5th gear when working in comparison to former fitness. Saying that, managed a half marathon earlier in the year and recently did a 10mile/600m ascent coastal path hike in 3hrs. My current weight is probably my limiting factor!

But, I haven't been up higher than the Ben since taking them so also nterested in anyone with altitude experience as it might be on the cards for next year 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...