UKC

Compulsive need to stretch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravity.time 24 Apr 2023

Hi, I've been bouldering for 2 months and since I started I have a compulsive need to stretch all the time. I know that overstretching is a thing and sometimes I think I overdoing it a bit but it's just an urge that I have. I've read about stretching routines and I'm doing way more than that. 

I tried to search but haven't found anyone with the same question.

So should I stretch as much as I feel and just try not to stretch more than I can or should I hold out and just do recommended stretching routines?

In the last 10 minutes I've stretched m fingers and forearms around 15 times.

Cake 25 Apr 2023
In reply to gravity.time:

I don't stretch. I warm my muscles up by exercising them

Post edited at 17:04
In reply to gravity.time:

I wouldn't worry too much about muscles, they'll tell you when they're overstretched because you'll be really sore. If you're getting significantly sore from stretching it's probably too much unless you're being guided towards a flexibility goal. 

I'd be more concerned about tendons. Stretching isn't the most natural use of the body, you're pulling your tendons into unusually extended/loaded positions in a way they are not used to, so I think you have a good chance to pull a tendon if you continue this compulsive routine. 

It's good to listen to the body, it usually knows what it needs. But if you think you're perhaps indulging an unhealthy compulsion, it might be good to step back a bit. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...