UKC

1 day scrambling introduction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sleepymouse 17 Jun 2023

Good afternoon everyone

Off to North Wales in a couple of weeks for our annual walking holiday but would like to challenge ourselves a little. We are planning to Scramble up Moel Siabod but are looking at maybe also Tryfan.

My Wife is a little nervous and we would both probably benefit from some guidance, so we were thinking maybe a 1 day introduction. We have experience of alpine walking and short scrambles but nothing very long and technical.

Are there any qualified forum members who would be happy to do a 1 day introduction?.

We will probably be looking at the week of the 10th July. Depending on the weather.

Thank you in advance

Neil

Alex Riley 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Hi Neil

I'm a mountaineering instructor based in North Wales and would be able to provide a one day scrambling course. 

My email is moelwynmountaineering@gmail.com

You can find out more about me at moelwynmountaineering.com

LucaC 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Alex is a great instructor, you'll do well booking with him. (I would offer too, but already booked up most of that week)

OP Sleepymouse 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Alex Riley:

Thanks Alex

I've emailed you

joe245 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Rusty Bale at Snowdonia Walking and Climbing. Great guy, been out with him a handful of times for scrambling and climbing. Learn a huge amount and have great fun too.

Jimbo C 17 Jun 2023
In reply to Sleepymouse:

For what it's worth, I think that Moel Siabod is an excellent introduction to scrambling. Route finding is no problem and all of the rock steps have several ways up ranging from barely scrambling to somewhat harder than grade 1.

Tryfan N. ridge is far higher quality in my opinion, but could be a little more intimidating for a first time scrambler. Route finding takes a little more care and it is less escapable, but those things can be managed well if you are guided. Enjoy it, whatever you do.

kaiser 18 Jun 2023
In reply to Sleepymouse:

Tryfan north ridge is an excellent choice for a guided day as the guide will be able to show the easiest way - or add in more challenging micro variations to suit how you're feelings on the day.

There is an easy way all the way up the N ridge - hands are hardly needed - but of course finding that easy way is not ..er.. easy.  

Perhaps even extend over Bristly ridge if you're going well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...