UKC

Trip to Font with a 9year old

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Clueless 30 Mar 2024

Hi, My family are heading to font for 10 days next week and am wondering if anyone has any useful tips or suggestions as to the best venue to head for easy bouldering/kiddies circuit for a 9 year old with limited bouldering experience. 

Would be grateful for any advice as it’s years since I have been and first time with the not so little one.

thanks in advance

Mart

Simon Pelly 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Clueless:

L’elephant is a nice relaxed area with bundles of easy routes. There’s a great app “Boulder” for finding your way around. Enjoy - it’s such good fun.

Si Witcher 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Clueless:

the Font boulder mapping app is actually called “Boolder” on the app store.

douwe 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Clueless:

Canche aux Merciers has a bunch of easy and lower boulders with nice flat sandy landings.

I can recall going around Canche aux Merciers Anarchodrome and thinking it would be a good area for beginners and kids.

Also I would just try to have a good time with croissants and pain au chocolat in the woods and be happy to squeeze in some bouldering while you're there.

Ramblin dave 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Clueless:

With a nine year old it might be worth looking for specific children's circuits (generally marked in white)? They aren't necessarily easier than the regular circuits, but are more or less guaranteed not to involve long reaches out problems where the start holds are out of reach for small people. Our kids aren't big enough to care either way yet so I can't comment on specific areas but friends with older children seem to have got good mileage out of them. 

OP Clueless 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Simon Pelly:

Thanks ever so much Simon.

OP Clueless 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Si Witcher:

Noted, thanks

OP Clueless 31 Mar 2024
In reply to douwe:

Great, thanks, the croissant plan is formly on the better half’s itinerary already

OP Clueless 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Brilliant, thanks will do.

JRS 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Clueless:

The yellow circuit at Roche aux Sabots.

Close to the car park, low boulders with good landings and not too long.

The Boolder app has a good feature that shows circuit routes by colour and number with photos of each problem as well as GPS location.

No need to buy a guide book.

Have fun.

TobyA 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Clueless:

My 6 yr old enjoyed scrambling around at  La Canche aux Merciers on some of the white problems whilst I tried yellows. Sandy bases, lots of other families about. 

OP Clueless 03 Apr 2024
In reply to JRS:

Thanks- The Boulder App is a game changer. Thanks

Simon Pelly 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Clueless:

Yep. Loving the fact you can walk around and find the problems with relative ease.

tjekel 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Simon Pelly:

I found the Beauvais circuits Louteville and Telegraph especially rewarding with a nine and ten-year old. There are kids circuits for different levels probably starting for todldlers. Less traffic as well.

Offwidth 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Clueless:

You probably need kids white circuits... just use the Ap.

The best I've seen for younger kids is Telegraph Feuillardiere. Parking with the same name just passed the A6 bridge on Font to Milly Road. Walk south on flat track perpendicular to road for about 400m to a T junction. Boulders next to the junction. 4 circuits: toddlers purple kids, white and yellow and slightly harder one.

tjekel 04 Apr 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

The problem is, the app does not really show kids circuits at the moment, although they plan to include them at some date.

You can find quite some information on Topobleau: https://www.topo-bleau.fr/cultures-bleau/2022-lescalade-enfant

The kids circuit at Apremont Bizons nice as well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...