UKC

Moonboard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesg85 12 Mar 2024

Hi, 

Am getting back into climbing, was a lot lighter when younger and could climb harder but am wondering if it's worth trying the moonboard at my local climbing centre, Redpoint in Worcester. What grade does it start at? Do you need the app? My iphone 5c doesn't support the app though.

JLS 12 Mar 2024
In reply to jamesg85:

That sounds a harsh reintroduction to the sport. If you are dead set on using the Moonboard I say just make up your own problems on it without the app.

Suncream 12 Mar 2024
In reply to jamesg85:

The grades start at f6A+/V3. But those are moonboard grades, which a lot of people think are sandbagged compared with outdoor bouldering grades, and they'll be a heck of a lot harder than problems of the same grade on a normal bouldering wall.

OP jamesg85 12 Mar 2024
In reply to jamesg85:

Ah ok, thanks both, will save it until I lose some weight and get a better phone for the app!

cwarby 12 Mar 2024
In reply to jamesg85:

Hi Jamesg.

Worcester currently use the 2016 setup so grades start at 6b+/V4. I have it on good authority they will move to the 2024 setup near April and believe there will be lower grades. The MB is great for strength training, but will certainly test you. Benchmarks often feel sandbagged. As JLS says, a good intro is make something up, don't worry about the app and Bluetoothing it to the board.

I tend to go (erratically) in the morning and you rarely see someone else. But if you spot me, say hi and I'll gladly show you.

Chris

Edit; I've found all users v.friendly. If someone's on it say hello, get them to show you the app and the board.

Post edited at 18:06
OP jamesg85 13 Mar 2024
In reply to cwarby:

Thanks! Yeah hopefully see you down there sometime. I can make mornings as I work freelance. I'll give the moonboard a go sometime and make up problems. I'll just need to lose some weight before getting back to old standards though ha. 

cwarby 13 Mar 2024
In reply to jamesg85:

Gonna be there tomorrow 10-13'ish. Said I was erratic🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...