UKC

Blackstone Edge Bouldering Topo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PRT91 26 Oct 2023

Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone knows where I can find some bouldering topo's for blackstone edge. I've got a copy of Western Grit but it looks like there's only trad climbs listed in there for this area, and I can't get hold of a second hand "Lancashire Bouldering" book anywhere. Any other guidebooks or pdfs I could look at?

Offwidth 26 Oct 2023
In reply to PRT91:

Email Robin and he might be able to help.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=9810

steveriley 26 Oct 2023
In reply to PRT91:

There's a bit of crossover in Lancashire Rock, from memory the Short Routes section is in and you can make a judgement how bouldery they are. You might be able to make sense of some of the more straightforward bits from the info on here - Back Edge, Hueco Block, Easy Wall - in any case recommend giving it a go, a favourite spot.

Offwidth 26 Oct 2023
In reply to steveriley:

More like utterly brilliant. I was first shown round by Marc Chrysanthou when there was still a view it shouldn't be in a guidebook.

RJML 27 Oct 2023
In reply to PRT91:

Will DM you.

mrphilipoldham 28 Oct 2023
In reply to PRT91:

All the best problems are photographed on here, the rest in between you tend to be able to figure out from that! 

Dave Garnett 28 Oct 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

I confess I'd never heard of Blackstone Edge until we did the Pennine Way recently and met some guys staggering up to it with mats.  I must make an effort to get up there, though I might drive this time.  Cow's Mouth Quarry too (do people really boulder over the beautifully carved Simon Armitage poem there?)

mrphilipoldham 28 Oct 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Yes, but like most things Lancs/Manchester area no where near as much as they should.

Offwidth 28 Oct 2023

I'd have a quick look at Buckstones and Standedge as well if you are in the area. Loads of good exploratory bouldering at all three venues.

steveriley 28 Oct 2023

Strictly speaking we were there first, but after the quarrymen …do people carve stanzas on our beautiful boulder problems? Im a big fan of both climbing and Armitage, they seem to rub along ok. 

Dove Lowe and Stony Edge are both ace too. Further away from the PW, everyone needs a bit of West Nab in their life.

Graeme Hammond 28 Oct 2023

> I confess I'd never heard of Blackstone Edge until we did the Pennine Way recently and met some guys staggering up to it with mats.  I must make an effort to get up there, though I might drive this time.  Cow's Mouth Quarry too (do people really boulder over the beautifully carved Simon Armitage poem there?)

The problems were there before the poem/graffiti was chipped into the face there was a long thread and news article on here when it happened.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2012/07/stanza_stones_-_poetry_on_t_moors-6...

Back on topic: i was at Awesome Walls in Sheffield a week or so ago they had a new copy of the Lancashire guidebook, might be worth popping in if they still have it if you are in the area.

Dave Garnett 28 Oct 2023
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

> The problems were there before the poem/graffiti was chipped into the face there was a long thread and news article on here when it happened.

Thanks for the link, I must have missed the original (rather predictable) controversy.  

OP PRT91 29 Oct 2023
In reply to Offwidth:

Cheers! I'll send him a message

elliotlukeb 06 Nov 2023
In reply to PRT91:

In West Yorkshire a few keen locals have put together a page to grow interest within the area and as the group grows it’s getting easier to stay local. 
A lot of the crags mentioned in your thread are of interest to the group. I’ve put the group link below.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/983858399628997/?ref=share 58

Cheers, Elliot

Sam Beaton 06 Nov 2023
In reply to elliotlukeb:

Please don't tell everyone on a public forum that Holmfirth, West Nab, Pule Hill, Blackstone, Standedge and Buckstones are all brilliant and totally unspoilt.

TIA 😉

elliotlukeb 06 Nov 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Haha. I don't think we'll be queuing don't worry. Need to strike a balance between unspoilt and actually getting climbed on.

greg_may_ 06 Nov 2023
In reply to PRT91:

Great local area to me. Utterly sodden at the moment mind you

C Witter 07 Nov 2023
In reply to PRT91:

Blackstone Edge is a beautiful spot. Treat it gently, as it is well loved. As others have said, Lancashire Bouldering is the correct guide.

If you go in the morning, you may see a congregation performing a ceremony in one of the quarries, as you walk in. If you go in the evening, you may see owls circling above the long grass.

Lots of great 6A to 6C problems, and some harder too. "Hueco blocs" or "Home Improvements"/Back Edge are good places to start.

Some remembered part of me is still wandering up there on that windy edge alone above the strewn lights of Greater Manchester.

CampusBored 07 Nov 2023
In reply to C Witter:

"Some remembered part of me is still wandering up there on that windy edge alone above the strewn lights of Greater Manchester."

Nicely put, this was my local for a few years and hadn't realise it had left such an impact on me until reading this thread; your comment brought me back there for a moment, cheers!

elliotlukeb 10 Nov 2023
In reply to C Witter:

Nice. Poetic writing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...