"Grade 0" scrambles in Snowdonia?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 magiiique 03 Apr 2024

I'll be in North Wales in June for a few days and would love to fit in some solo mountain adventure. That said, I never went on a real scramble (did some Swiss high-grade signposted "hikes", and can happily solo a single-pitch Mod). Having done research, it seems like heading out to Crib Goch or Tryfan North Ridge with no idea what a scramble really looks like, other than YouTube, is a bad idea.

But are there any adventurous hikes you can recommend? I don't particularly want to queue up Snowdon / Yr Wyddfa up a well-trodden path. So I guess specifically, I'd look for routes with some scope for four-limbed locomotion - but not overly sustained, or unavoidable / unescapable. Or either of those would be fine if a fall is likely no more than broken limbs. Or failing these, just beautiful and exposed, if strictly two-legged.

I can make my own risk assessment, I know I can die in the mountains if I trip over my laces, but not sure how to Google for a "grade 0 scramble"...

[My first post on this forum - many thanks for any responses!]

Luke90 03 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

If you can happily solo a short Mod and have other experience in mountains, you'd almost certainly be happy enough on a grade 1 scramble. The actual moves would be much easier than a Mod, and your general experience should mean you wouldn't be freaked out by the exposure, unless that is something you generally struggle with. I'd buy one of the excellent scrambling guides for North Wales and just start with a grade 1 that they note as particularly easy or escapable. (Assuming decent conditions on the day, probably best to stick with a walk if conditions are poor.)

Andypeak 03 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

Moel Siabod has a very easy scramble route up the back as detailed here. It's a really nice route and a really nice hill. Not that hard (my Labrador can do it) 

https://getoutside.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/adventures/moel-siabod-circular-wal...

Welsh Kate 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Yeah, this is exactly the one I was going to recommend - the Daear Ddu ridge, going up from the llyn. It's a perfect intro to easy scrambling and you can trend to the left of the ridge to make it easier or stick to the right for a touch of exposure. Plus you can descend the easy way down to refreshments at Plas y Brenin!

I did it when I was trying to rebuild my rocky walking confidence after an accident involving slipping on rock, and it was just the ticket for a solo rocky walk / easy scramble.

In reply to magiiique:

As others have said, Daear Ddu ridge on Moel Siabod is a really good option - you can scramble or more or less hands-free walk, depending on the line you take. Best on a dry and not-too-windy day of course:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=119

Another fantastic choice, though a considerably longer day, would be the Nantlle Ridge:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=386

Also, this southern Carneddau circuit has some nice borderline-scrambling on it:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=137

Spready 03 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

Always consider linking up with a group or even a guide for a few days to experience a scramble and get an idea of risks... First time on an exposed Grade 1 can be a bit unnerving.. and I've seen people who were keen walkers become frozen when greeted with a rocky bit.

This reasonably new book is a good one with many good routes that just tip toe into a scramble in several places. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowdonia-Mountain-Scrambles-Mark-Reeves/dp/187334...

An example could be the Southern Carneddau horseshoe, with a little 10m scramble up to Pen Yr Ole Wen, then a little downclimb of the same length down to Bwlch Eryl Farchog, and finally the small one up to Pen yr Helgi Du. 

(Dan writing the same route as me whilst I was trying to find the right names from the book! ha)

Post edited at 15:17
 kaiser 03 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

OP with your extensive rock climbing experience up to VS and - as you say - being happy solo on Mods, then you'll comfortably enjoy the classic Tryfan / Bristly / Y Gribin Grade 1 circuit in Ogwen (given fine weather)

Post edited at 19:41
 Brass Nipples 03 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

If you head to the Daear Dhu ridge of Moel Siabod I’d say that offers what you might classify as some grade 0 opportunities which you may attempt or bypass as much of or little of as per your preferences.

NathanP 03 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

Given your climbing experience, I can't imagine that any of the usual Grade 1 scrambles would be a problem in reasonable weather. 

To answer the original question. As I remember, the Gribin ridge up onto the Glyders is at the easy end of Grade 1 (in ascent) and easily escapable to a flanking path on the right. Approaching Grade 0 from the other direction, Snowdon South Ridge has some narrow rocky bits and would provide experience of a bit of exposure in a UK mountain setting before embarking on recognised scrambles.

In reply to magiiique:

To add to the great suggestions already mentioned, the Cnict scramble is lovely and a v easy grade 1

afx22 03 Apr 2024
In reply to get to the punchline:

One that jumps to mind is Tryfan South Ridge.  There are loads of ways up, from either the East or West sides, up to the saddle between Tryfan and Bristly Ridge, then South to the summit.  It’s easier than the classic North Ridge and turning back would be simple.  Pick a dry day with clear skies and that’ll be about as easy as you can get.

If you enjoy that, give the North Ridge a go.  It’s amazing.

maxsmith 04 Apr 2024
In reply to magiiique:

If you want a slightly easier version of Tryfan North Ridge - Bristly Ridge - down Y Gribyn then you could take a look at Senior's Gully - Senior's Ridge - down Y Gribyn.  Senior's Gully gets graded 1-, similar to the Daear Ddu ridge on Moel Siaboad. Enjoy!

OP magiiique 04 Apr 2024

Some fantastic suggestions here - thanks guys! And I didn't know Rockfax has a hike/scramble guidebook, looks like a good buy.

I guess I'll see what the weather is like, if it's pristine and I'm feeling strong, I might reconsider Tryfan North Ridge, else lots of "grade 0" options here - many thanks!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...