Nelson NZ visit - May/June

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Bobby Gilbert 01 Apr 2024

I’m planning to visit my daughter in Nelson in a couple of months time.

Is there likely to be good climbing at that time of year?

What’s the best way to find a partner? Through here?

I’m up for sport 6a/6b, trad E1/19, bouldering or mountaineering  

Any suggestions welcome

Bobby

damowilk 02 Apr 2024
In reply to Bobby Gilbert:

The only real climbing nearby to Nelson is Paynes Ford, and Pohara, still a few hours away over the Takaka hill. Probably a bit hit and miss if it will be decently climable that time of year, depending if it’s been dry for a while and not too cold. 
Previously the nearby climbing camp, Hangdog, was one of the few places in NZ that you could turn up and often find a partner, but it’s a lot quieter nowadays since the council enforced them to reduce capacity, and probably again a quiet time of year, so better to try and pre-arrange a partner. Best option is the Golden Bay climbing FB page. NZ is more sport focused than Trad. 
Feel free to contact me if you’re free on a weekend, I’m not far away in Blenheim.

Gormenghast 02 Apr 2024
In reply to damowilk:

Completely climbing unrelated but jeez, that Takaka hill - 257+ bends!?
Forget the climbing and just drive up and down that hill a few times, that’ll get the adrenaline flowing. 😀😀

Lankyman 02 Apr 2024
In reply to Bobby Gilbert:

I had several extended visits to the area in the eighties/nineties though not for climbing. The hill walking ('tramping' locally) is second to none - Kahurangi, Nelson Lakes and Abel Tasman NPs and Mt Richmond are all close to Nelson and have extensive networks of paths and huts for longer tours. As you're heading into the southern winter, expect some snow on the tops. Above the tree line it can feel quite like UK hill walking but often without clear paths. Often a route would follow a line of spaced metal poles. There's a lot of limestone in Kahurangi NP if caving is your thing - did a bit in Nettlebed Cave and on Mount Owen with local cavers in Nelson. Scenes from the Lord of the Rings were filmed in the area.

Post edited at 12:22
OP Bobby Gilbert 02 Apr 2024

Thanks. I might just do that!

wiwwim 02 Apr 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

leslie-karamea tramp is pretty wild, possibly less so with sealskin socks...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...