Weird nut

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Andypeak 06 Apr 2024

I've just been offered a load of climbing equipment from a friend's dad who sadly passed away. There isn't anything in the collection that I really need however one thing that really caught my eye were the pictured nuts. I've never seen anything like them before and whilst I certainly aren't about to use them I was wondering if anybody else had seen them before and could provide some information about them? 

Doug 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

I've seen them before, or maybe another version of the same idea. Struggling to remember where or when but I think France & maybe some 20 years ago ?

john arran 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Doug:

I remember them from more like 40 years ago in the UK, though they potentially could have been French. Never caught on.

Edit: The plascicised cable would suggest these ones were made more recently than 40 years ago, so perhaps a similar idea was tried again.

Post edited at 15:00
 duncan 06 Apr 2024
 Ian Parsons 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

If you keep scrolling down on here you'll get to them:

https://www.karabinclimbingmuseum.com/mixed-nuts-display.html

LaPrade Gigogne. The label says '1979', which sound about right.

Edit: Touché, Duncan!

Post edited at 14:54
 Doug 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Ian Parsons:

So right country but a bit out on the date,  I spent a few months in France in 1980 so maybe that's when I saw them. Possibly the same visit I saw some nuts made from what looked like blue plastic. Anyone remember those ?

Andy Johnson 06 Apr 2024
In reply to the thread:

Interesting. I assume the V-shaped pieces slide down the wire to allow the nut to fit in placements of varying sizes?

Post edited at 15:01
 Ian Parsons 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Doug:

> Possibly the same visit I saw some nuts made from what looked like blue plastic. Anyone remember those ?

You can see one or two other 'plastic' nuts on that Karabin page; I think the ones that most people remember are the Mammut Bicoins - although I only ever saw them in red, as shown.

OP Andypeak 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I thinks that's the idea. You get a whole rack of sizes but only one nut. 

OP Andypeak 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks for the info everyone 

OP Andypeak 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Would anyone happen to know if they are worth anything? Obviously for historical interest only and not for usr? My friend ( non climber) is trying to sell off his dad's old rack

Post edited at 17:24
 MisterPiggy 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

The Nut Museum guy might be interested in them ?

DaveHK 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

I remember reading an article about the worst bits of climbing gear which said that these were a nightmare to remove if they got loaded as they deformed in cracks. 

CantClimbTom 06 Apr 2024
In reply to duncan:

> Laprade nesting chocks from 1979. 

Phah.. sounds like the sort of guy that had no friends

Just kidding, very interesting idea and link!

Post edited at 19:43
 d_b 06 Apr 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

I have a feeling they might deform and stick together as well. Only one way to find out I guess.

Maggot 06 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

I had one of those, got it the late 70s I think. Never used it until it got abandoned on an Alpine abseil descent in 2001.

Post edited at 21:39

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...