Totem repairs post Brexit

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 zb1 01 Apr 2024

Managed to snap a trigger wire on a totem cam this Bank Holiday weekend. Obviously weak and out of practice placing gear thanks to the wettest winter since Noah started cutting down trees!

I know they do a very reasonably priced repair and have the form from the website but I was wondering if anyone had had issues with sending or receiving repaired cams post Brexit?

Have had a quick Google and UKC search but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

In reply to zb1:

Hey, if you go on the Totem webpage all the repair information is on there.

https://www.totemmt.com/product/totem-cam/

Scroll down to Downloads 

Post edited at 22:55
OP zb1 01 Apr 2024
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks Euan, I do already have the form. What I was looking for was anyone with experience recently of sending goods into and out of the EU for repair and whether they had had any issues with customs etc. 

MarkDavies36 02 Apr 2024
In reply to zb1:

I'm not exactly sure, but I imagine it will be much easier and cheaper than when we were beholden to those dastardly autocrats of Europe...

Climber_Bill 02 Apr 2024
In reply to zb1:

> Thanks Euan, I do already have the form. What I was looking for was anyone with experience recently of sending goods into and out of the EU for repair and whether they had had any issues with customs etc. 

Hi, I sent a couple of pairs of climbing shoes to George in Athens post Brexit, and before he went to work with Black Diamond. They were never delivered as George would have had to pay import fees, and when, after a few months, they were returned, I was charged import fees into the UK.

This issue has apparently been resolved, as can be seen here:

https://www.chamberelancs.co.uk/2021/11/export-and-return-of-goods-for-repa...

However, once bitten, twice shy and I haven't tried since.

Hope you get the Totems sorted.

CB.

dominic o 03 Apr 2024
In reply to Climber_Bill:

My yellow Totem held a rather spectacular and entirely unexpected 20m fall in Pembroke in 2020, with the trigger wires getting quite mangled in the process (but preventing me from the same outcome!) I was expecting to have to retire it to a place of honour on the mantelpiece but the brilliant folks at Totem repaired it to "good as new" and it's still going strong. Amazing value and no hassle with customs or additional charges.

Click-baity blog post here: https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2020/08/02/deep-throat-and-a-monster-whipp...

BTW undoubtedly the best small cam on the market IMO. Cheers, Dom 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 03 Apr 2024
In reply to zb1:

Had a camera go just after Stupidity kicked in, needed sending to the Netherlands.  Got sent some stickers/label and everything went fine.    

jackholcombe 03 Apr 2024
In reply to zb1:

Sent my yellow totem off a few weeks ago for a ripped wire. Took a while to get through customs and the Spanish postage seems incredibly slow but seems smooth so far (provided it get back to me okay)

OP zb1 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dominic o:

Nice one. I'll get it sent off then. 

I was considering cracking out the swaging kit in the workshop as it's only a trigger wire just in case I was going to be liable for VAT, Customs and a DHL handling charge. All of which would have been more than the postage and repair cost! 

Climber_Bill 03 Apr 2024
In reply to dominic o:

>  spectacular and entirely unexpected 20m fall in Pembroke in 2020.

Tell us more.

> BTW undoubtedly the best small cam on the market IMO. Cheers, Dom 

I have heard they are very good and need to get a few myself. However, just bought a set of the new Aliens and need to save up a bit.

CB.

OP zb1 03 May 2024
In reply to zb1:

Just a wee update on this for anyone who searches at a later date.

Totem have been excellent. I filled out their repair form (link above) and bubble wrapped it into a jiffy bag. New trigger wires, re-sling and postage back €33. They email an invoice with a payment link and you can pay online straight away. No fees or duties on the way back in. 

The hardest part was getting it out of the country! Had to fill in an export sticker thing at the post office including the weight of every individual item in the package??? I wrote all over the package that it was a return for repair and it didn't seem to get held up for too long getting to totem.

All in all it's taken just under 4 weeks from sending to getting it back.

Dunthemall 18:41 Fri

For anyone climbing in Joshua Tree

New wires $15 (in a couple of hours at Nomad)

Sewn (Nylon) Slings $6 (Fish Products)

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...