Swiss guidebooks

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Jones_88 20 Apr 2024

Does anybody know which 2/3 English climbing guidebooks are best for the Zermatt/Saas Fee area & also the Grindelwald/Interlaken area ? 

I’m off to Switzerland/France for 2 weeks in June/July. I’ve got plenty of guidebooks for the Chamonix area & one for the Ecrin but only have the 4000m peaks guidebook for the rest of Switzerland & Europe. 

Mainly looking for alpine mountaineering routes around AD and possibly up to D, but also keen for bolted & trad rock routes (6a+ sport &  VS trad ) 

There must be tons of things to go at below 4000m but I’m not sure which guidebooks to get as there’s so many to choose from. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting the Schweiz Plaisir books but not sure if they’re any good ? At £40 a pop I don’t want to find out they’re crap. 

In an ideal word something like the Chamonix Roxfax book but for the areas I’ve specified. 

I’ve only climbed in Chamonix area in the alps & keen to explore a bit more of Switzerland.  

Any help much appreciated. 

Mike-W-99 20 Apr 2024
In reply to Jones_88:

A vertical life subscription will get you the plasir guides. Likely much cheaper than buying the books and cancelable.

OP Jones_88 20 Apr 2024
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Any idea how much it costs ? I do like a guidebook so don’t mind splashing out if they’re any good. 

I find it much nicer to flick through a book than be glued to my phone any more than I already am. 

LakesWinter 20 Apr 2024
In reply to Jones_88:

The Plaisir books will get you to the crag and I've always found the topos to be good enough too.

camptocamp.org is well worth a look to see what is in good conditions and whether or not the route you want to do still gets done or not.

Fiona Reid 21 Apr 2024
In reply to Jones_88:

€4.99 a month. Like Rockfax very easy to set up and cancel. We used it last summer to get access to the areas we didn't have the paper guides for, see https://www.vertical-life.info/en/premium

For more specific areas, the SAC regional guides in Switzerland are generally very good (our mate lives out there and has a lot) but likely overkill unless you're in an area for a decent while.

SAC do have some route material available online. You can browse the routes at https://www.sac-cas.ch/de/huetten-und-touren/sac-tourenportal/

SAC also give access to ~900 routes for free (you do need an account but that's free to create) and for the rest you need a subscription for. 

Post edited at 07:48

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...