UKC

CNN, Janja Garnbret & REDS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 27 Mar 2024

Really good to see mainstream media picking up the campaign on REDS, as led by Janja:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/26/sport/janja-garnbret-paris-2024-climbing-eat... 

This article reminded me it must be close to a decade now since Bob P first bent my ear about Marco being a defacto permanent President of IFSC, and that that constituted poor governance. Plus ça change.

Post edited at 10:29
 CS 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

It is good to see this but its a shame they didn't dig a little deeper. The IFSC came out with a pretty good new policy in February. Not perfect and delegated too much back to National Federations but they did it in such a way that the Federations were basically forced to do the right thing. So a solid 7/10 in my view.

But then they implemented it in such a way as to make it completely worthless! They basically immediately broke their own policy by issuing athlete licences (which you need to do IFSC competitions) before receiving any medical assessments from the federations. The policy said that licences would only be issued after federations had done a risk assessment for each athlete and got additional medical tests when needed. But this part of the policy was immediately broken removing any driver in 2024 for Federations to actually do what was in the policy.

They are supposed to be doing random checks during the season. But the metrics for these random checks which would lead them to do anything are substantially lower than the values for federation checks. To give an example - as a female athlete you'd need a BMI of about 16 on the random check for the IFSC to do anything! So a pretty pointless sytem.

So the IFSC gets the kudos for bringing in what is, on paper, a good policy. But then avoids any difficult conversations and in the words of Janja "looks away" by not actually following it. And the fact that there has been nothing written about this shows how the federations and IFSC are colluding in finding ways to avoid engaging with what is a difficult but very important subject. Pretty unimpressive

birddog 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Just so I can fully understand, what is the line you are drawing between Marco's term as president and this article? 

OP Offwidth 27 Mar 2024
In reply to birddog:

Nothing really... just triggered a memory.  My instinct then was such roles should be time limited to reduce governance risks but here we are ten years on.

The REDS issue is more important and much more urgent.

birddog 27 Mar 2024
In reply to Offwidth:

Yep I agree.

This year is going to be a big one to see how the new governance rules are implemented and even more so, how the IF and the national federations support any athletes who are removed from competition under the new rules.

The new regs are a great first step but as a sport I really hope we lead the way to other sports in showcasing care and support for athletes who need help. The consequences of failing to do so is utterly dire.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...