Heavens Above and the Hounds of Hell

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKH Articles 21 Feb 2024

Fell-runner Norman Hadley experiences the transcendent beauty of an afternoon canter above the clouds, while finding himself the unwilling fox in a strange and unexpected hunt.

Read more

In reply to UKH Articles:

Wonderful inversion, but there is something unnerving about a pack of hounds apparently on your trail!

..and I too love walking that Brotherswater path as the light is fading - the perfect way to end a day on the hill.

That sounds a memorable experience Norman. I've met unaccompanied dogs from the Patterdale hunt a couple of times, had a hound join us for a day's climbing at Mart Crag once, but never anything as unsettling as your encounter 

Norman Hadley 21 Feb 2024
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Thanks WaW. It was a great outing but maybe would have been even better without the canine attention. Yeah, those Brotherswater woods are gorgeous. I bet they're full of birdsong right now and it won't be long before the flycatchers and chiffchaffs are back. 

Norman Hadley 21 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I'm curious to know if anyone other than us  have been pursued up this valley. I'm considering a small investment in aniseed to lay decoy trails.

In reply to Norman Hadley:

> I'm curious to know if anyone other than us  have been pursued up this valley. I'm considering a small investment in aniseed to lay decoy trails.

I have had hound encounters on Rossett Pike and the summit of Whitbarrow, but thankfully I have escaped the attention of the Patterdale Pack.

gammarus 08 Mar 2024

Lovely stuff Norman.

I think if there's one thing better than an inversion, it's an inversion with a Brocken Spectre, an almost supernatural sight that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Norman Hadley 12 Mar 2024
In reply to Full moon addict:

Some gorgeous captures there, John.  The hounds experience was two months ago today - the full(er) set of pics is here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/M4pHLsNfkJRYXVPo6

It evoked memories of an arguably-even-finer afternoon running Helvellyn two years earlier https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tw9VmfMFUJaD57ps6 The snow cover then was possibly even closer to your 2015 experience.

Norman Hadley 12 Mar 2024
In reply to gammarus:

Thanks Steve. Yes, I love Brocken Spectres too. I've not yet managed to photograph one that does justice to the experience of having a ghostly doppelgänger.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...