Mountain bird identification?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Whoopdeedoo 09 May 2024

Please can someone help me with my random description?! 

I went for a walk this evening up Harter Fell from Haweswater. On my way down, on Gatesgarth at approx 8pm I heard a noise similar to the sound of small rocks moving under foot… that’s not what it was! 🙈 It was like a shikka, shikka noise. 

I realised it was a small bird as it flew up making the same sound. I only managed a quick glance but it was small, brown but with a very distinct white fan tail with a brown trim.

I do apologise for the vagueness, but Google’s not bring anything up and I’m really keen to find out what it was! 

thanks

Cog 09 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Wheatear?

coldfell 09 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

sounds like a stonechat, like pebbles clacking together. Usually lurking in the bracken.

OP Whoopdeedoo 09 May 2024
In reply to Cog:

Thanks! It matches my description, including the tail. But the song was very different. Maybe a variation? You’ve helped me narrow down my search! Thank you

In reply to coldfell:

I’ve just listened to the sound of one and it’s too song like.

The birds I heard want singing but clicking or chittering in some way, but was quite deep. 

Bobling 09 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Only one answer, get a bird book and some bins and go back and see if you can see it again. A lifetime of birding pleasure awaits you! 

In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

More research has told me that it was likely to have been an alarmed call, as it was on the path in front of me.

I think it is most likely to have been a wheatear due to the distinct tail. Although I’m still not 100% sure about the call.

In reply to Bobling:

I have thought about this! I’ve dug my bird book out as soon as I got home! 😀

Cog 09 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

I think a wheatear sounds like a stonechat.

Stonechat 'tsak tsak'. Wheatear 'chack chack'.

The Merlin app might help you in future - Shazam for birdsong, or so I gather.

crayefish 10 May 2024
In reply to Cog:

> Wheatear?

My thoughts too.  Wheatears have a very distinctive tail with the brown trim and a brown stripe up the middle.

storm-petrel 10 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

There is a useful video on the British Trust for Ornithology website covering the "chats", Stonechat, Whinchat and Wheatear.

If you just want to watch the Wheatear parts, the identification bit begins at 02.23, the call briefly at 03.55, and the song at 04.46.

https://www.bto.org/develop-your-skills/bird-identification/videos/know-you...

There are lots of Wheatears about on the fells now. Their white rump and tails are very noticeable when they fly away.

Post edited at 06:18
 Martin W 10 May 2024
In reply to storm-petrel:

> There are lots of Wheatears about on the fells now. Their white rump and tails are very noticeable when they fly away.

And are allegedly what they are named for: "white arse".

deepsoup 10 May 2024
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

> The Merlin app might help you in future - Shazam for birdsong, or so I gather.

Very good for letting you look up a species and listen to a variety of songs and calls too.

Speaking of which..  following up on Cog's suggestion that it was a wheatear..  Whoopdeedoo - is this something like the sound you're describing?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/305134

Adam Long 10 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Sounds like a wren to me. They fit the description of small, brown, fan tail, and often give you a rattly scolding from close quarters.

Frank R. 10 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Have a look at

https://xeno-canto.org

recordings of over 10,000 species.

Pedro50 10 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

This was my first sighting identified by Merlin, said to be a Northern Wheat Ear

On Hadrian's wall.

Post edited at 16:23

Fat Bumbly 2.0 10 May 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

But which side? If on the southern side it would be a Southern Whitearse (airspeed unknown)

OP Whoopdeedoo 10 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

Thanks everyone! I’ve had a look at the suggested links and it was a Northern Wheatear. Definitely not a wren.

Thanks again!

Bottom Clinger 11 May 2024
In reply to Whoopdeedoo:

And most likely a female wheatear (brown = female, blue slate grey = male).  

Bottom Clinger 11 May 2024
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

> The Merlin app might help you in future - Shazam for birdsong, or so I gather.

Merlin is OK for bird song. Gets the odd thing wrong, but it’s OK and good fun. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...