REVIEW: La Sportiva Miura VS - If it ain't broke...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC Gear 17 Apr 2024

The Miura VS has been a much-loved favourite for over 15 years, says Tim Hill, and in a world of soft climbing shoes the good news is that the recent update has not watered down what this model does best - supportive edging performance.

Read more

Climber_Bill 17 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

A good review and write up.

I also thought "Oh no, what have they done!" when I heard the Miura VS was going to be "updated!" Recently, that has often meant, changed significantly from the previous version. I am pleased the change hasn't been radical and the heel works really well if needed.

As a heavier climber, I really rate the support the VS's provide. I wear a slightly smaller pair for redpointing as they give just that little bit more support than the larger, more comfortable, pair I wear for onsighting.

Coming from the Blancos (looks mistily into the distance with fond memories and thinking how could Five Ten get rid of those?) the Miura VS's did take a bit of getting used to, but I wouldn't go back, even if the Blancos were reintroduced.

In the wall, I wear Skwamas, as the VS's are just a little bit stiff for a lot of the modern indoor bouldering.

Let's hope they stay part of the La Sportiva line up for a long time and don't go the way of that other awesome Sportiva shoe, the Kendos in the nineties.

CB.

In reply to Climber_Bill:

I can't help but feel we need to have some sort of a campaign to bring back stiff/supportive shoes, because the modern trend is definitely to soften seemingly everything. There's definitely a time and place for this, but for the vast majority of us who're trad/sport climbing in the UK it's definitely a detriment to performance.

Something else I'd applaud La Sportiva for doing, aside from not changing it much, is actually keep it in the range. There's nothing more frustrating than your favourite shoe being discontinued!!

pbla4024 17 Apr 2024

Miura was released in 1997, that's bit more than 15 years.

Climber_Bill 17 Apr 2024
In reply to pbla4024:

Yes, but wasn't that the lace up version of the Miura?

The Miura VS came out in 2008 and is a very different shoe to the lace up version. Both fantastic, but quite different.

AlanLittle 17 Apr 2024

> I also thought "Oh no, what have they done!" when I heard the Miura VS was going to be "updated!"

Quite. I was utterly dismayed by the "purely cosmetic" update to Miura Laces, until I tried a pair and found that they really had only changed the colours

PeteColdham 17 Apr 2024
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Do you use softer shoes for natural grit Rob? Thats the only rock I tend to find you need the smearing softness and because its fairly short hopefully you won't be on a small edge for hours.

In reply to PeteColdham:

> Do you use softer shoes for natural grit Rob? Thats the only rock I tend to find you need the smearing softness and because its fairly short hopefully you won't be on a small edge for hours.

I do actually, so maybe I should have caveated my previous response. For natural grit and sandstone I'll tend to use something softer - the same goes for granite. 

yodadave 17 Apr 2024

I have some muiras but any time ive tried on the VSs they just haven't felt quite the same.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it just the break in time? should i give them another go?

very happy to see stiff shoes still in production and classic designs being retained, my resoler was shocked I wanted stiff rubber recently. Almost to the point where I got the impression he's not asked for it much?

Climber_Bill 17 Apr 2024
In reply to yodadave:

They did take a bit of getting used to.

I remember they rubbed the top of the big toes for a while, until I developed a hard bit of skin and the shoes softened. Coming from Blancos, the way I had to place the toe on holds was different, but I am used to that now.

They are certainly more downturned and pointy, which not everyone likes. In the Five Tens, I used the Anasazi Velcros or Pinks for trad and the Blancos for sport. But, I use the VS's for everything, albeit in slightly different sizes.

I have tried other, more modern, and perhaps trendier shoes but just really get on with the VS's for outdoor rock climbing.

CB.

In reply to yodadave:

> I have some muiras but any time ive tried on the VSs they just haven't felt quite the same.

> Anyone else experienced this? Is it just the break in time? should i give them another go?

The Miura and Miura VS have a very different fit, with the Miura being much narrower - so much so that it never fit me. The Miura VS is definitely wider, but still not wide - or at least not compared to Scarpa*. As a result of this I never had a perfect fit out the box, but they did eventually break in and worked really well for me once they were worn in.

TobyA 17 Apr 2024
In reply to yodadave:

> I have some muiras but any time ive tried on the VSs they just haven't felt quite the same.

> Anyone else experienced this? Is it just the break in time? should i give them another go?

Yep, I have a pair of Miuras that are still in pretty good nick beside needing a resole (just for the toe point really). When I bought them - probably 12 or so years ago - I tried the Miura VS too, but they felt like a really different shape that didn't work for my feet at all. Now that was only one example of each model, and over a decade ago, but ever since I've sort of thought I won't fit Miura VS. When I'm trying hard (for me!) on limestone sport climbs near me in the Peak it's either my old Miuras or even my equally slightly-too-small-hence-super-tight Scarpa Techno X, which are even stiffer than the Miuras!

Which resoler have you used? It sounds like you're happy with the results. 

TobyA 17 Apr 2024

> The Miura and Miura VS have a very different fit, with the Miura being much narrower - so much so that it never fit me. 

This is weird, because I've heard this before but somehow I found the opposite and ended up with the lace Miuras. But, as noted in my post above, this was a long time ago.

Ramon Marin 17 Apr 2024

Yes! Bring more stiff shoes! Scarpa offering is dismal. I was so disappointed LaSpo discontinued the Katakis in favour of a lesser quality, and bigger, new Katana laces. Thank god for Otakis and the Katanas/Katakis (still found around). On peak lime, a fresh pair of super stiff shoes takes a grade off routes sometimes

TrewwRoc 18 Apr 2024
In reply to Ramon Marin:

I am waiting for a review of the OCUNs Sigma, which is heralded as the stiffest shoe in Ocun lineup.

It is however more on the narrow side using the last of the Fury model.

Tyler 18 Apr 2024
In reply to Ramon Marin:

> Yes! Bring more stiff shoes! Scarpa offering is dismal.

Yep, I’ve got two pairs of new Generators in different sizes and don’t really get in with them. I had a pair of Vapour V before which are supposed to be stiff but aren’t but a better show probably. Back to Muira VS for me which is a shame as I need something more comfortable for my arthritic big toes  

Climber_Bill 18 Apr 2024
In reply to TrewwRoc:

There is an interesting review of the OCUN Sigmas here; https://www.climbing.com/gear/field-tested-ocuns-sigma/ in which it is compared directly with the Miura VS.

CB.

joe.91 18 Apr 2024
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Wait for the new (old) Boostic's. Same as as the original ones. Nathan did hint about bringing the Spectre's and Rockette's back too...

In reply to joe.91:

> Wait for the new (old) Boostic's. Same as as the original ones. Nathan did hint about bringing the Spectre's and Rockette's back too...

I am (perhaps unsurprisingly) very excited about this...

joe.91 18 Apr 2024

Its good to know I can still get a replacement for mine when they die in about 3 years after countless resoles. They just need to bring back the original Instinct S's and Vapour V's then they'll be sorted!

On a sperate Scarpa note, the new Spin STs are fantastic. Except I stood on a nail last night and put a big hole in mine!  

Blake 18 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

The best shoes ever made. It's a sign of great design that they've lasted this long with only minor alterations. I agree 100% with the comments about heavier climbers suiting these, it's clear to me now after much trial and error that heavier climbers need stiffer and more supportive shoes. These are a wider fit too which you wouldn't initially think, but you can crank the straps really tight for even more support. The only time I go for a flatter and softer shoe now is for padding on some smeary grit climbs. 

In reply to joe.91:

> On a sperate Scarpa note, the new Spin STs are fantastic. Except I stood on a nail last night and put a big hole in mine!  

Never mind the shoe, how's your foot?!?

joe.91 18 Apr 2024

Sore! Not sure how deep it went, thought I just bruised my foot on a rock at first and kept running. Took my sock off and saw a puncture hole. Swollen but hopefully better in a few days. 

Ian Parsons 18 Apr 2024
In reply to joe.91:

Tetanus jab?

gekitsu 18 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

this seems to be in line with the other mostly (entirely?) cosmetic updates from laspo: their no-edge models all got a new coat of paint – futura, genius, and mantra.

narrowing the heel seems like a generally sensible thing to do, as a squishy, non-molded construction can always expand a bit to lay snugly against a chunkier heel but a voluminous construction will have slippery wiggle room on a foot with a narrower heel.

with regards to the dearth of stiff shoes: i have been having this discussion recently. (admittedly, in a group mostly comprised of boulderers, but with a few multipitch advocates and budding trad dads mixed in!) it certainly appears that the full-foot supportive stiff shoe is seen as a niche use tool, and not entirely without reason.

indoor climbing, sport or bouldering, rarely even has something that qualifies as a tiny foot. for outdoor bouldering on tiny features, some stiffness is required under the toes (but not so much as to sacrifice sensitivity) and to have high flexibility around the ball of the foot will make the shoe more useful while incurring no drawbacks. you’re only climbing a max of ~10 moves anyway.

for hard sport, the stiffer forefoot/flexy midfoot approach of the laspo solutions, mad rock drones, scarpa instincts, etc. seems to offer pretty much all you need. tiring out the midfoot to the degree that it costs you the attempt doesn’t seem to be the limiting factor on routes of moderate length, and the toes are amply supported.

that leaves the disciplines that have you spend way more time on the wall – trad and multipitch – where guarding the foot against tiring out is a more sensible tradeoff for versatility and sensibility. it sucks for the afficionado, but i can see why manufacturers don’t keep full length stiffness ‘generalist’ models around that burden practicioners of more mainstream disciplines with a feature that is detrimental more often than a boon.

joe.91 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Thankfully after my trip to South America I am fully jabbed to the hilt! Hep A, hep B, tetanus, cholera, yellow fever, rabies, typhoid...

TrewwRoc 19 Apr 2024

Thankˋs for the link.

The review is excellent and I am eager now to try the Sigma if they will fit my feet.

yodadave 19 Apr 2024
In reply to TobyA:

https://cobblersandcoffee.co.uk/

they make one of the best flat whites I've had in the UK! Also the best resole I've had of the three continents I've tried resoling on. Plus if i get them some business they might be slightly less grumpy with me about my home repair job on my 25yr old scarpas hahaha

Ramon Marin 19 Apr 2024
In reply to joe.91:

I don't believe a word Nate says...

heleno 19 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

If any women are reading this, just to add that the new women's Miura VS also seems to fit and perform as well as the old one.  I have been wearing (and loving) them for 10 years - the only difference seems to be the colour and styling.  

Interesting to read all the comments about them needing 'breaking in'.   I must have unusually Miura-shaped feet because every time I get a new pair, they feel great from the outset.

My main grouch with Miura's is that the soles tend to delaminate - perhaps the new style will last longer 🤞

mire.wien 22 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC Gear:

You can't improve on perfection. Same goes for products like Grivel G12 or La Sportiva Nepal. Only minimal changes over the years but the classic lives on.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...