Helmet brands for large heads

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Leko 12 Apr 2024

I wore my Petzl Vertex last night for the first trip out of the season and it reminded me how uncomfortable it is, it pushes on the front sides of my head and the straps are annoying when looking up, this is due to my large head… any recommendation for brands with large sizes around 64cm

PaulJepson 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

I have an Edilrid Salathe. Says the large is up to 62cm but I swear it is absolutely ginormous and it's way too big for me.

LoolaSummer 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

I always have this issue too, going to keep my eye on this topic, larger head problems strike again lol

Luke Brisco 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

I have a fairly sizable head, really struggle with the width of a lot of helmets, have you tried the Grivel Salamander?

jezb1 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

I’m 63cm and wear the BD Vapor, I like it.

OP Leko 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

I will go an try some on tomorrow, thanks for the recomendations.

carpet 12 Apr 2024

another vote for the Grivel Salamander from me - I have a pretty big head and it works excellently, plus if strapping a big headtorch (eg one of the weightier fenixes) to your head is something you regularly do, the strapping at the back does a great job of making sure your helmet doesn't pitch forwards and limit your field of view

IainMay 12 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

I’ve got a pretty big head, that anyone I know will testify to and have got the old style BD vapour. It’s brilliant and I sometimes forget I’ve got it on. Feels like it wraps around my head whereas some styles like petzl sit on top of my head. If that makes sense.. there was some going cheap recently as they upgraded it. Only bad thing is it’s not super durable and needs to be handled with care!

crayefish 13 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

Do Grivle still do the Salamander XL helmet specifically for big heads?  It's the only helmet which would fit on my enormous noggin.

OP Leko 13 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

After a trip to Kong and Needle sports I ended up with the Black Diamond Capitan M/L still has a little space for a thin hat 

CantClimbTom 14 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

Vertex is fine for large heads, there's a lot of adjustment with those wheels. The problem you have is the wrong shaped head for a vertex... or... a better perspective: the wrong helmet for a head of your shape.

Sorry, but you need to try before you buy. You need to borrow some different ones or try some in a shop.

jezb1 14 Apr 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

They're not very nice by modern standards though even if they fit perfectly!

CantClimbTom 15 Apr 2024
In reply to jezb1:

Agree, Vertex vent is... IMHO good for 'elf n safety it has a bit for ear defenders to clip to or a visor etc and a breakaway chin strap, plus very high on head to absorb impact of a falling brick. But too big and high on the head for climbing, caving, mountaineering. I own one but advise against getting them.

I have an old petzl ecrin helmet, but it's coming to 10 years old now and no longer made, not sure a good alternative. They were low profile, hard plastic, doesn't float (if you need to wear underwater)

I thoroughly recommend Petzl meteor. I have one and love it, but it's floaty and fragile (compared to hard plastic) so only for climbing or mountaineering, but perfect for that. Whether it fits OP's head shape would need some try-it-and-see. 

arose 15 Apr 2024
In reply to Leko:

Every time I get a new helmet I try on everything I can find and come back to the same conclusion of Black Diamond helmets being the best for my big head.  The Black Diamond Vision in M/L is the biggest of the ones I've got currently and I can fit a hat under it for winter climbing.  Despite lots of brands saying their helmets are a similar size to this they dont fit my head as well.

TobyA 15 Apr 2024
In reply to arose:

I always take large in helmets, but none of the BD ones fit me well (same as the super light Simond one) - too round for my oval head, so they rock side to side. It's boring - but every 8 to 10 years when I decide to replace it, I just end up with another Petzl so they seem to fit me best. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...