Historic Avalanche in Northern Corries

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 ExiledScot 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Rank_Bajin:

I wouldn't say historic, there have been big avalanches there before. Further right facing the crag there have been some very deep slides and the slab has been renowned since people first went in there. From your example rightwards is often prone as the wind dumps huge quantities of snow there, when whipping over the spur. 

OP Rank_Bajin 08 Mar 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

Just to be clear, the SAIS has described it as historic. 

Andy Moles 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Rank_Bajin:

My initial response when I saw the blog title was 'I've seen bigger', but I think 'historic' just means it happened a couple of days previously. Slightly misleading title.

Lankyman 08 Mar 2024
In reply to Rank_Bajin:

The ptarmigan didn't look too bothered

ExiledScot 08 Mar 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

I'd say the significance is you can have some big avalanches in the northern corries, a short distance from the safety of the car park. Similar applies to Aonach Mor off the top of the lifts. On most other hills or areas you have a longer walk, you feel and see the conditions change, see or hear thawing, spot snow blowing over crests, see drifts forming in lee of boulders, so either deliberately or subconsciously you form a picture of risk. On a short walk you can head down thrash along a worn track for 30 mins and bam you're in a high risk area before you know it, like in this case Lochain basin, where you're at risk of something coming down on you from more than one aspect. 

galpinos 08 Mar 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

I would say it is historic, in the "an avalanche that took place in the past but was not coverd by SAIS at the time" sense.

StuDoig 08 Mar 2024
In reply to galpinos:

I think your interpretation is correct, "historic" is the term used in a lot of the blogs / reporting to describe an old avalanche which was not observed at the time.  As opposed to one of historic significance 

ianstevens 09 Mar 2024
In reply to StuDoig:

> I think your interpretation is correct, "historic" is the term used in a lot of the blogs / reporting to describe an old avalanche which was not observed at the time.  As opposed to one of historic significance 

That’s the correct technical use.

StuDoig 09 Mar 2024
In reply to ianstevens:

I agree, just pointing out the misinterpretation that looks to have started the thread.

Cheers!

Stu

felt 09 Mar 2024
In reply to StuDoig:

At least it didn't say "An historic".

OP Rank_Bajin 15 Mar 2024
In reply to StuDoig:

According to SAIS it was observed at the time. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...